Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please read)

Wow, i never knew that it's so easy to make 7 figures as a poker player. Great plan
Old 09-23-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please read)

[ QUOTE ]
And unless you plan on flipping burgers (or giving it a go in Vegas) that usually means 40+ hours a week. All of a sudden there are no parties...uh oh...your friends move away...oh boy... and then bam! wife and kids...oh [censored].
You have the rest of your life to make money and pay bills and all that garbage, there is absoltely no reason to start earlier than expected. Do yourself a favor and turn off your computer for a week (try giving your power strip to a buddy or something) and get drunk and meet some loose women before it's too late.
Of course that's just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what i've been doing since being back to college, going out and partying. But about you saying theres no point to start earlier than expected, I don't see this as 100% true. I want to get into investing and financing, i'm not trying to work at a 9 to 5 job, I want to be my own boss and in this type of field, gaining knowledge at an early age for investing i've heard is key for long term success. If your opinion is that I should just party it up for my last 2 years in school then I can respect that. But the thing is, i've partied so much already that it's not as fun now, well the fact my school is in the middle of no where could relate to that. And the point you made about the rest of your life being 40+ hours a week grind, well thats what i'm actually trying to work now to avoid because this is precisely what I don't want. I want the REST of my life to have plenty of time where I can go out socialize and have fun rather than just a few years in college. I guess another poster said it better than I could where he mentioned that if you plan to work an office job for the rest of your life its better to party it up before you start that 9-5 grind, but what I want to avoid IS that 9-5 grind... I want to make alot of investments early in life and set myself up nicely later in life so that I can spend more than just 4 years enjoying financial freedom.

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont know whether family and friends is more important than poker than you are very much screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not about just poker, if it were just poker i'd be able to balance this just fine with everything else. Alot of my time is also spent going to workshops and talking with investment consultants, researching good ways to invest my money, going to classes, studying finance, etc... all of this coupled with poker is what makes it hard to spend time with all my friends and stuff. But like i said, i do still spend time with my friends, i've gone out every weekend and at least 2-3 times a week since being back in school. I agree with your point that family and friends is obviously more important, but is investing time with people you may never see again just as worth it if you are pretty much taking a 2 year break from trying to work towards your career goals? In two years I could possibly gain alot of knowledge about stocks, real estate, investing, and also could make alot of money on poker which give me a great head start on what i'm trying to accomplish in life. And as I said, i'm a pretty social person so it's not like i'd be giving up these things for the rest of my life.... later on down the road whats stopping me from just going up to a fine girl and introducing myself and getting the date... not much, i've done it before, I can do it again. The thing i'd worry about is making all new friends in a new area.

Also, i don't want to give off the impression that i'm disagreeing because i've already made up my mind, what i'm trying to do is challenge certain points of view with things i've thought of myself that challenged that point of view as well to see what others think. I've come very close to deciding "you know what, i'll just focus my last 2 years on hanging out with friends, scoring with girls, and drinking every weekend and worry about my career later". But there are different arguments that could be made both ways.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, i never knew that it's so easy to make 7 figures as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who said it was... did I ever at any point say I plan on making my living as a poker player? I don't even want to be a pro poker player.. what I want is to be good at investing and have my money make money. But nice try on putting words in my mouth to attempt to make some random off the wall point that was not even being discussed.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Thanks. I'm a lot farther along than you are.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please re

I was going to clear up your questions about my first post, but then I saw that jskills said what I wanted to, only a lot better than I could. Read his post, and that's what I meant to say.