Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Conditional Suffrage?

Disclaimer: Just recently started visiting this particular forum, so my apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

------------

Is conditional suffrage a good idea?

I'm not talking about racial or sexual discrimination here (i.e. "your grandfather's grandfather" recursive discrimination or no women voting), but rather, objective, competence-based restrictions that ensure that the unacceptable ignorance of the masses doesn't elect an unqualified individual into an important position. (Republicans & Democrats, please try to behave - GWB is not necessarily the topic of this conversation).

Right now, to the best of my knowledge, the only requirements to register to vote and do so are:

1) 18 years of age or older.
2) Be a US citizen.
3) Not be a convicted felon.

Should that be all?

Example:

Warik: "Who are you voting for in the presidential election?"
Person: "There's an election this year?"
Warik: "Yes. Are you registered to vote?"
Person: "I don't know. Who's running?"
Warik: "George W. Bush is running against John Kerry. Who are you voting for?"
Person: "I don't know... who should I vote for?"
Warik: "I am going to vote for __________. He is a member of the _____________ party. Don't vote for ____________. He's a member of the _____________ party and they are all assholes."
Person: "Ok I will!"

Is allowing "Person" to have the right to vote really in the best interests of this country... or... given the potential effects an individual can have in a particular position of power........... the world?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Conditional Suffrage?

On the whole, I think the ignorant and easily manipulated should cancel each other out.

On the other hand, I don't believe in voting online or in having more than one day to vote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the whole, I think the ignorant and easily manipulated should cancel each other out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two terms are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, they are often partners in crime.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I don't believe in voting online

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in voting online, and I believe that technology already exists to make it as legitimate as ballot voting.

[ QUOTE ]
or in having more than one day to vote

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I.

However, I don't believe in that day being Tuesday. Worst idea ever.

Unless all employers could universally be forced to allow employees to go vote during business hours and pay them for the time they are out..... which would replace the idea of voting on Tuesdays to being the worst idea ever.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Unless all employers could universally be forced to allow employees to go vote during business hours and pay them for the time they are out..

First of all, it's against the law in all States to take any disciplinary action against employees who take time off from work to vote.

Second, polls are open in most states from 7 AM - 8 PM. I would suggest that only a miniscule percentage of the electorate needs to miss more than an hour or two of work to vote.

I don't agree with forcing employers to pay for the missed time.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, it's against the law in all States to take any disciplinary action against employees who take time off from work to vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disciplinary, no, but those who need to punch a time clock won't be paid for the time they missed.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, polls are open in most states from 7 AM - 8 PM. I would suggest that only a miniscule percentage of the electorate needs to miss more than an hour or two of work to vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're living paycheck to paycheck, an hour or two of work is significant.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with forcing employers to pay for the missed time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I... that's the only way having election day be on a day when 99% of the working population works would make sense, though.

Better to just change the day.

But let's not get off topic.... we're talking about restricting the right to vote of otherwise eligible voters.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see a cite on that. My understanding is that only about 20 states actually have such laws, and that the time allowed is not necessarily sufficient to cover the actual time needed to stand in line and cast a vote (ie: Ohio 2004).

q/q
Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see a cite on that. My understanding is that only about 20 states actually have such laws, and that the time allowed is not necessarily sufficient to cover the actual time needed to stand in line and cast a vote (ie: Ohio 2004).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. There is no uniform federal law regarding this. I believe the number of states that have laws requiring employers to give time off is closer to 30, but as you point out, some of them don't require very much.

Part of the reason that there is no uniform federal law about this is that there is no uniform federal election.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:11 PM

I support this:

Ban anybody who is a member of a religious organisation that was created for the purpose of maintaining human slavery from voting.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 PM

Didn't they used to do this in the south? I don't think this is a good idea because of how easily it is to misuse.

Also, being a convict does not prohibit you from voting in many states.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:46 PM

A short quiz on where the presidential candidates stand on major issues would be a good prerequisite. It will keep out the people who voted for bush because they want to have a beer with him.