Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: enternal hell bothers me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What alot of people forget is God doesn't want to send anyone to hell. He wants them all to find a relationship with Christ, repent and spend eternity with Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vito Corleone doesn't want to kill the Band Leader when he puts a gun to his head and tells him "your brains or your signature will be on this contract", he wants him to sign the contract and do business with him, and he's giving the Band Leader a choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it's all about isn't it? Who's got power and who doesn't.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What alot of people forget is God doesn't want to send anyone to hell. He wants them all to find a relationship with Christ, repent and spend eternity with Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vito Corleone doesn't want to kill the Band Leader when he puts a gun to his head and tells him "your brains or your signature will be on this contract", he wants him to sign the contract and do business with him, and he's giving the Band Leader a choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, the bandleader was being unjust in the first place when he didn't sign the Singer to begin with. It was the right thing to do. Morally (don't remember the details) he should have signed the Singer to the deal all along if he was a fair person. Vito just gave him the justice he deserved.

He signed, btw.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:15 AM

Let me get this straight, you're arguing that in the actual movie Vito was correct to threaten the Band leader's life, or you're trying to point out some difference between the movie situation and God's attitude towards man? If it is the second, please explain that difference.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight, you're arguing that in the actual movie Vito was correct to threaten the Band leader's life, or you're trying to point out some difference between the movie situation and God's attitude towards man? If it is the second, please explain that difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to have to refresh my memory of the details that lead up to Vito making this offer of your signature of your life. As I recall the Bandleader more or less was wrong in the first place by not having signed the Singer to begin with. The Bandleader instigated his own judgment by being unjust to the Singer. I think it was because the Singer was Italian only and therefore the Bandleader had no “moral” grounds to not sign it in the first place.

Vito didn’t make the offer out of greed or similar reasons.

I think the analogy hold to God in the context you are using God - and rendering justice on the “guilty”.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to have to refresh my memory of the details that lead up to Vito making this offer of your signature of your life. As I recall the Bandleader more or less was wrong in the first place by not having signed the Singer to begin with. The Bandleader instigated his own judgment by being unjust to the Singer. I think it was because the Singer was Italian only and therefore the Bandleader had no “moral” grounds to not sign it in the first place.

Vito didn’t make the offer out of greed or similar reasons.

I think the analogy hold to God in the context you are using God - and rendering justice on the “guilty”.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the text from the movie concerning Johnny Fontaine's contract with the band leader:

MICHAEL
Well, when Johnny was first starting out, he was signed to this personal service contract; with a big band leader. And as his career got better and better, he wanted to get out of it.

Now, Johnny is my father's godson. And my father went to see this band leader, and he offered him $10,000 to let Johnny go. But the band leader said no. So the next day, my father went to see him; only this time with Luca Brasi. And within an hour, he signed a release, for a certified check for $1,000.

KAY
How'd he do that?

MICHAEL
My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

KAY
What was that?

MICHAEL
Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains -- or his signature -- would be on the contract.

Whether the band leader has done anything wrong or not is arguable. Regardless, threatening his life is a rather extreme punishment for holding Johnny Fontaine's career back. It is this reason most viewers consider the Godfather's actions as morally repugnant. I am interested to hear from Jeff V and what he thinks about the analogy between the Godfather and God.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it's all about isn't it? Who's got power and who doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the point Nitzsche was making. It seems that God no longer affects people's lifes in a direct noticeable way. There are no more "offers we cannot refuse" issued from up high. No wonder many people find fear of God unfounded. They gladly join the chorus singing the new tune that "God is dead". What have you to offer these people who say that the old mobster in the sky is no more?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:46 PM

"The Gods are Dead"-to modern humanity, they truly are. The perspective is one of consciousness. The ancient Greek said(I believe Homer) "better a begger on earth than king of the shades".

Humanity, in its evolution, has progressively lost the ability to enter the world of the spirit(the Greek saying is a precursor to the present) but even in Grecian times there was a clarivoyance in which the truths of these regions were known. They had just lost much of the clarity of even earlier times.

This type of understanding of the spirit actually continued to the 16th century when prior to this there were many who were able to connect with the world of the spirit.

Of course the "Age of Reason" and earth bound consciousness began and Man has literally fallen into an inability to touch this world and speculation abounds as the reality of the spirit. Ergo, "the gods are dead".

The connection with this world is real and is the future and present work of Man.It is difficult to concieve the "shades" as the alphabet is not the same.

carlo
Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What have you to offer these people who say that the old mobster in the sky is no more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buena Suerte

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Buena Suerte

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

SDM,

Hey buddy - good pal.

I was wondering whether your “tu” with the accent was Italian or Spanish. Now I know.
Another "Brick in the Wall." *

*In the very unlikely chance you don’t know this reference, I will tell you if you ask.

Cheers too,

RJT
Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Hey, why did you delete your post. Well, I already typed my reply so:

SDM,

See, you always read too much into things. (You do that, seriously.) I was merely being friendly in an Eddie Haskell kind of way. Eddie Haskell was a character on the early 1960’s TV show “Leave it to Beaver”. (Perhaps, you might have seen some reruns on TV?) Eddie was a kind of pain-in-the-butt, frequently obnoxious, but no harm intended kind of guy. Now that I have confirmed you are a young pup, I thought you might need a big brother type guy here for a while. You know, to make sure no bullies give you too much hassle. (Even when - often - you deserve it.) My tone was kind of Eddie Haskell, but my motives are more Wally, Beaver’s older brother. You are kind of like “the Beaver”. Beaver was a bratty,dog growling at your feet, albeit sometimes clever kid, who never meant any harm.

Regards,

RJT