Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2004, 05:01 PM

Default bet or ch/r a bunch of callers? Is the protection worth the risks?

I'm usually a 4/8 player but occasionally sit in the 10/20 if juicy enough. There are a couple of good players in this game but they are not in this particular hand. Only one player has shown any real aggression and he is to my immediate right. The other three are CALLERS. The only differrences I can see btw. this table and 4/8 is that you don't routinely see Ax being played and SOME of the other suited trash, most flops are raised and you cannot count on a bet on the flop if rags fall. Post flop, however, there is little raising and huge pots have been won by just betting overpairs or TP good Kicker and getting called called called.

I'm in BB w/ 83. 2 EP limps, Button and SB limp. 5 to flop for 5 SB:

Flop: 832 No straight draws.

I bet? With such a vulnersble hand should I try to protect it w/ a C/R or win a big pot later. The reason that I bet is 3-fold. First, I did not want to give the callers a free card since they would call (I thought three at least). Second, I thought that a bet, had I checked, would most likely come from the LP and I did not want everyone to face a double bet all at once since that might offend their calling inclination--after all how much of the flop could they have, I presumed overcards. Plus I knew I was very vulnerable to a counterfeit so I'm not so sure how much protection I would be securing by knocking overcards out any way. If someone has an eight or a straight draw they are gonna call my raise and might pair their better kicker anyway. I'm not anymore interested in charging them than those who will call w/ overcards and/or backdoor flushes. Should I be?

Thanks, PT