Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Good Flop/Bad Flop (99)

2 or 3 limpers and I limp late with 99. The button also limps.

The flop comes 764r. It's checked to me and I bet. A weakish player on the button calls and the bb, who is an experienced player, but stuck and playing erratically check/raises. Another weak player calls two cold (all-in). It's up to me. What's the best line of play for me here?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Good Flop/Bad Flop (99)

I think I would smooth call and probably raise the turn no matter what, unless it was a seven. I think 3 betting the flop is probably fine too. You're in a nice spot here, I doubt he is going to put you on a hand that big because of the preflop action.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would smooth call and probably raise the turn no matter what,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good, yet so very committal. What about an ace, ten, 8, or a 5? Would you raise (or bet) either of these cards as well?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:39 PM

hi kevin
i do not like this. these are the ones that you don't like. you're beat here kevin. fold.

no, this advice will not be popular, but if you had to point to a situation that makes you grimmace at the show-down thinking 'how could i have played it differently?', this is the situation. do you feel that 'ughh' ish feeling kevin. not saying that the 'ughh' feeling doesn't have a halo of optimism. it has a halo but it's still an 'ughh'.

whenever the situation conjures up a vision of a neanderthal with a halo, muck. muck anything less than modern man.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 PM

I would raise if an ace hit, planning to check behind on the river, and definitely fold to a three bet. Although I guess you could smooth call an ace, because you would like him to keep betting into you if you are ahead. You're right, there's no way you can raise an 8 or a 3, I didnt see the straight draw when I first read your post.

Not that there are a lot of good turn cards for your hand, but I think the raising the turn and checking the river is probably right especially since there is a reasonable chance he is on a draw. I would probably raise any 2,4,6,9,10,J,Q,K,A, and possibly check behind depending how the board looked by the river. Do you think three betting the flop is better? I can't decide.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:45 PM

Kevin,

There is nothing I hate more then not knowing where I am at in a hand. If these players are your standard low to middle limit players they will most likely let you where you are at, if you three bet on this flop.

Swiss Cheese

Old 02-06-2004, 11:55 PM

In a strange, almost poetic way, you somehow capture the essence of the moment.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:03 AM

Thanks Swiss-

The bb is an experienced and normally very competent 20-40 player. Although he happened to be tilting at the moment, he is anything but weak. That's my problem.. 3-betting is no gaurantee of finding out where I'm at.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

3bet. there are entirely too many cards that keep you from raising the turn.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:32 AM

That's what I thought and that's what I did. But I'm thinking it was a mistake now. The button called two more cold and the bb just called. A 5 came on the turn (874-5), and he checked to me. What do I do now? Thanks.