Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Making calls w/o odds as a big stack

Do you guys ever make calls when you don't have odds at like, mid-tournament, in order to take your big stack to a dominating stack at the table?

Example:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t2760)
UTG+1 (t900)
UTG+2 (t2228)
MP1 (t115)
MP2 (t1705)
MP3 (t2382)
CO (t1398)
Button (t3055)
SB (t1520)
Hero (t3227)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls t115, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t65.

edit: the converter screwed this up. the guy in MP1 went allin for 115. so the pot on the flop/turn is actually like 350 or so.

Flop: (t255) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (t255) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t450</font>, Hero calls t450.

River: (t1155) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: t1155

My turn call is obviously bad strictly in terms of pot odds. But my thinking is that at this point in the tournament, losing 400 chips will not affect my stack a great deal (from 3k to 2.6k with blinds at 25/50), whereas potentially adding around 1000, possibly more (if he calls me on the river after I hit), could give me a dominant stack over the table, and allow me to run over it.

Is this FPS? This is just an example, but I'll often do things like this during mid-tournament to try to accumulate. Is this spewing?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Making calls w/o odds as a big stack

This is not FPS, this just sucks.

He will not pay you off any any of the draws that you are trying to hit.

PF: Re-raise or fold. AJo sucks balls OOP.
Edit: Just saw he was late position, definately re-raise unless he's a nit.

Flop: looks good.

Turn: C/R all-in or fold.
Edit: Due to stack sizes, lead/3-bet sucks.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not FPS, this just sucks.

He will not pay you off any any of the draws that you are trying to hit.

PF: Re-raise or fold. AJo sucks balls OOP.

Flop: looks good.

Turn: C/R all-in or fold. Leading/3-bet all in could be considered, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.

preflop its 65 chips to me in a 250 chip pot. there is very few hands im folding here, and AJo certainly is not among those hands.

on the turn a c/r push is looking pretty good... maybe thats a better line? the problem is i dont feel the need to put the majority of my stack in the middle here on a thin draw with one card to come, especially because (I should have mentioned this in the OP, sorry), villian in this hand is a bigtime callstation (second pair is the nuts). although apparently so am i [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

edit: oh, and yeah, reraising preflop looks good. i didnt even consider it, perhaps because at that point i wasnt even thinking about the hand a great deal (other tables, etc.). AJo was definitely a favorite against the hand range (read: a huge range) that villian was calling with in that spot.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 PM

i think the call on the turn looks a little bad, but the PF call is fine. And i'm starting to like the c/r push on the turn.i didnt think of it, but just saw you said it, and it looks good.