Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: An explanation to NOT push preflop..

If you insta-push any time someone completes at the later levels, people figure it out and adjust (he pushed, he effectively hasn't looked at his cards yet/I'm pissed off at this aggro biatch, I'm making a stand). A better strategy is to pass it up when you don't need it so much, and save that play for when those chips are very valuable (and you have some "stealing street cred."). I hear people say sometimes on this forum that your image doesn't matter in these things, but in SB vs. BB play it does IME - people remember how you've played them (at least in that particular SNG), and will make pissed-off calls if you keep running them over (often unknowningly making a proper calling adjustment to their opponent's unchecked aggression).
Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you insta-push any time someone completes at the later levels, people figure it out and adjust (he pushed, he effectively hasn't looked at his cards yet/I'm pissed off at this aggro biatch, I'm making a stand). A better strategy is to pass it up when you don't need it so much, and save that play for when those chips are very valuable (and you have some "stealing street cred."). I hear people say sometimes on this forum that your image doesn't matter in these things, but in SB vs. BB play it does IME - people remember how you've played them (at least in that particular SNG), and will make pissed-off calls if you keep running them over (often unknowningly making a proper calling adjustment to their opponent's unchecked aggression).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this twice, many players are smart enough (even in the $5.50s) to start folding to their SB unless they plan on calling an all in. This gives you their SB a large % of the time, and lets you avoid tangling with a huge hand when they do decide to limp.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do this twice, many players are smart enough (even in the $5.50s) to start folding to their SB unless they plan on calling an all in. This gives you their SB a large % of the time, and lets you avoid tangling with a huge hand when they do decide to limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

And while this will happen with the more passive players in the 109s/215s, more often it will turn an SB limper into an SB raiser/pusher...so, as always, it depends on one's opponent(s)...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 PM

oh raptor, you need to get a bit more scientific !
Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you insta-push any time someone completes at the later levels, people figure it out and adjust (he pushed, he effectively hasn't looked at his cards yet/I'm pissed off at this aggro biatch, I'm making a stand).

[/ QUOTE ]

This has implications the other way too. If it's short-handed and I'm first to act in the SB (especially HU) and the blinds are still reasonable, I will often complete with rags a couple of times, intending to insta-fold. This "trains" the BB to raise or push into my completion. I can then trap him by just completing with a monster, and then he raises/pushes where he would normally fold to a push.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And while this will happen with the more passive players in the 109s/215s, more often it will turn an SB limper into an SB raiser/pusher...so, as always, it depends on one's opponent(s)...

[/ QUOTE ]
IME this happens a lot more than them folding their SB