Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: An explanation to NOT push preflop..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in position with 9xBB behind with a QJo hand, which is a flop hand as you say ... checking from the BB is a great play ... you could argue the same for QK, JK and JA ... those mediocre hands that are probably ahead preflop, but not by that much ... take a free flop and see if you can get an opponent to bluff at it cause he thinks you're holding junk

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonderful. You're on the bubble covered with AJo, you check your BB to trap, flop comes 792 two-suited and villain pushes. You're only making a pair 1/3 of the time, and (without ICMing it) you can't even call if you the flop comes 9T2 when you've got QJo and you think your outs are clean. You want the blinds here, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a trap so much as it is a way to see a cheap flop. What if the SB is trying to trap you with QQ or KK? You push into him from BB and he calls it, boom you're out on the bubble when you could've gotten away from the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really rare occurrence--much rarer than missing the flop entirely with AJ, which happens 2/3 of the time.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 PM

why do you feel a need to push? why not bet like 250-300? is that totally unacceptable? holla
Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this too, but not when they runner runner on me...This was awful raptor, choose your spots better next time..

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? i suck out on you or something? holla
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you feel a need to push? why not bet like 250-300? is that totally unacceptable? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I've been under the impression that at 33+ this is a bad move because they'll just push you in with any two, but I'm guessing this is wrong given your reply. What do you think about my argument in general, though?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like this too, but not when they runner runner on me...This was awful raptor, choose your spots better next time..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

joke...

"too bad villain got lucky" I was being sarcastic! Did they stop teaching that in HS? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In your Bad beat original post they went runner-runner to beat you ehich is what he is reffering to.

As for the hand, with those stack sizes and only 4 left I will often take the flop here unless I feel that pushing will have meta-game benefits for the remainder of the tourney (i.e. more walk-overs).
Old 08-30-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

joke...

"too bad villain got lucky" I was being sarcastic! Did they stop teaching that in HS? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that wanst my post. i took it from another thread. i dont make bad beat posts like that. holla
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In your Bad beat original post they went runner-runner to beat you ehich is what he is reffering to.

As for the hand, with those stack sizes and only 4 left I will often take the flop here unless I feel that pushing will have meta-game benefits for the remainder of the tourney (i.e. more walk-overs).

[/ QUOTE ]

same to you apathetic batch. that wanst my post. i took it from another thread. i dont make bad beat posts like that. thankyou for agreeing with a check. it must be something with the level difference from the 11s-33s and the 55s-215s. holla
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

that wanst my post. i took it from another thread. i dont make bad beat posts like that. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

That counts as a "vicarious bad beat post"...u should know better.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Did people start calling you when you were playing in the 109s and 215s? I'd imagine there, you really need to vary your blind play depending on who your opponent is. The thing is, in the 55s and especially lower, your opposition is fairly clueless to what you normally do and only after you push to their completion once or twice *in a row* will they realize what's going on.

In the situation you describe as a general rule I see pushing as more profitable than checking and playing a flop (this can be also be profitable but less so).

Yugoslav