Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Why are poker rooms so greedy?

I'm surprised there isn't a poker room online that doesn't limit there rake to $2 instead of $3. You would still make millions and would give more winnings to the players. Why haven't we seen this yet?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Why are poker rooms so greedy?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised there isn't a poker room online that doesn't limit there rake to $2 instead of $3. You would still make millions and would give more winnings to the players. Why haven't we seen this yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like any other business, it's all about making money.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:25 PM

You can look at is as greed, but it's about what the market wil bear. If we really felt that $3 rake was greedy, we'd stop there and play somewhere else. By the failures of no-rake poker rooms, we can see just how the general poker playing public sees rake.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Because poker sites are in it to make money.

And it's easier to up the rake cap than to subtly rig your site in a way that's undetectable to everyone except a selected group of gifted individuals who post at the Zoo.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen? I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen? I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a somewhat new site spamming RGP with exactly that right now...$2 rake plus a load more. What does it get you? About 10 real money players!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:24 PM

It's not just about the cap - the structure of the rake table is very important too. Party, Stars, and Pacific all have $3 cap but the amount of rake they are taking is very different. As an example, if a site takes a flat $2 from each pot, they will rake more than any other site.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be sitting there all by yourself, waiting for customers. And waiting. And waiting.

The good players go to a site because there are a lot of fish there. The more fish, the less important any small difference in rake. The fish go because of advertising, image, etc. They don't know what the rake is, and don't care.

[ QUOTE ]
I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all you need to market it right is a few million bucks for advertising. Nothing to it.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I said a max of $2 not $2 every flop.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:50 PM

I know what you said. What I said is that $2 maximum doesn't mean that the rake is lower.

If you are talking about sites being greedy then the point is to reduce the rake, and the maximum rake is only one small part of it.