Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 05:38 PM

Default When did you start multi-tabling?

I tried it right off the bat. It seemed like such an easy way to see a ton of hands and I thought that it would lessen the boredom when I am not getting cards to play.

Turns out I was wrong.

I've been trying to figure out why I play so much better live and I think the reason is that I focus on the one game that I am in and am able to understand and play better against those involved. The couple of times I have played only a single table online, I have done MUCH better.

For those that just jumped right into multi-tabling and seem to be struggling with winning, maybe like me, you approached online play with good intentions, but started off on the wrong foot.

Start with a single table, when you can consistently beat it, then consider a second one. There is no rush to "kill" the games and move up, the long term will always be there for a winning player.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: When did you start multi-tabling?

nice post - i was on a hot streak when i first started and added a table and promptly lost a ton of $$. then i learned about variance and now after about 6 months i am occasionally adding a second table on play $$ to see how i do. it actaully helps me to play a little tighter, i am not as antsy to play hands and it allows me a little flexibility since i know i can ignore one of the tables if necessary.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM

I don't really play as often as I used to, but I tried it once or twice a few weeks ago. I opened two tables, and they keep beeping at the same time. It drove me nuts and I almost busted out of both tables.

Much respect to the multi-tablers.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:51 AM

Play limit or NL? I usually multi 5 NL tables at a time and if I get bored I'll throw in a SNG. It takes some getting use to. If you are comfortable with your starting hand requirements it's not hard. You have 30 seconds to consider each move. I use Pokertracker so I have a handle on most of my opponents.

I just wait for an opportunity to stack someone and go for it. Limit definitely requires a skill set that I have yet to attain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I will say that small leaks become chip spewing when you are multitabling.

Good Luck,

Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 AM

It took me a year before i started to multitable.
Beacuse i couldnt play good at both tables. Or more but know i add one if i dont get so great cards.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried it right off the bat. It seemed like such an easy way to see a ton of hands and I thought that it would lessen the boredom when I am not getting cards to play.

Turns out I was wrong.

I've been trying to figure out why I play so much better live and I think the reason is that I focus on the one game that I am in and am able to understand and play better against those involved. The couple of times I have played only a single table online, I have done MUCH better.

For those that just jumped right into multi-tabling and seem to be struggling with winning, maybe like me, you approached online play with good intentions, but started off on the wrong foot.

Start with a single table, when you can consistently beat it, then consider a second one. There is no rush to "kill" the games and move up, the long term will always be there for a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started multitabling when I was trying to earn a bonus and realized I wouldn't make the full amount unless I added another table, if one considers adding just one table a multi-tabler...

Now, it's habit. I play two to three tables at a time. I am very comfortable with starting hand requirements and the types of people I'm playing agianst. My post-flop play has been reasonable, but there are close decisions where I sometimes make the wrong move at the wrong time - that can be costly.

If I notice that I have some trickier opponents at a table, I'll drop that one for the one where the players play more predictably. However, I don't search for a new one to take its place.

I only started though when I was real confident in my pre and post flop play. If a player can only focus on one table at a time, it's really not a big deal, but others would say differently.

FWIW
Old 10-08-2005, 05:35 PM

I played one at first (like everyone else) and then eventually got to 3. Upgraded to a 2001FP, played sometimes 6 on there. Then purchased my dell I6000 and 8 table.

I've turned into a poker robot, where bad beats don't exist, and it's just a matter of getting the hands in. There's maybe one difficult decision per session.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's maybe one difficult decision per session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind there are still several 'easy' decisions you are making that are incorrect.

I don't mean this personally in any way, since we all have things we can improve in, but I know from experience that it gets so systematic that sometimes you don't even notice where your leaks are anymore.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... but I know from experience that it gets so systematic that sometimes you don't even notice where your leaks are anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multitabling or not, most people have difficulty locating where their leaks are in the first place. Adding tables probably doesn't change that too much. Playing more hands simply makes the absolute dollar amount paid for the leak higher.

Also, you may have plugged a bunch of leaks making it more difficult to find.

(Then there's the whole severity issue after finding a leak, but that's another story.)
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played one at first (like everyone else) and then eventually got to 3. Upgraded to a 2001FP, played sometimes 6 on there. Then purchased my dell I6000 and 8 table.

I've turned into a poker robot, where bad beats don't exist, and it's just a matter of getting the hands in. There's maybe one difficult decision per session.

[/ QUOTE ]

But against so many opponents, you have little in the way of reads on anyone aside from pokertracker data.