Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Doyle Brunson\'s Style of Playing No Limit

Thx Dave. And no, I wasnt sarcastic.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 PM

The blinds are esentially the ante. 5/10 game 10 handed means the ante is 1.50 a hand.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the input everybody.

I was rereading Doyle's Wisdom of a Champion this afternoon, and he mentioned how back when he got started all the books adviced a patient, passive strategy in poker. In fact, one book was even entitled "the Waiting Game".

So if that was the mindset at the time, it makes even more sense how he could dominate with agression.

Also, just to clear something up, I was rereading the NL section today, and Doyle does not advocate going all in with third pair. He said the hand he was looking for with suited connectors was a straight draw, and if he flopped one, he was willing to put all his chips in with it.

David
Old 04-29-2005, 08:31 PM

If you read the section he wrote carefully you will understand that when he speaks of the style in which he plays he's states and this is most important.... that "this is how I would play against a good NL player"

Don't follow his book like Bible, use it to make adjustments to your play.

When you are playing against poorer players you have to make the obvious play, but against a good player you can "manufacture a hand" and have many more tools to work with.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM

one of the most basic, and often misunderstood, themes of doyle's approach is that he likes to get all of OTHER peoples chips in the middle when he's behind, not his own, to affect his table image. he isn't nearly as risky and wild as many suggest; it is a very smart approach when you have everyone at the table covered and can afford to throw some chips around.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:50 PM

Sure blinds can be treated as antes, but they are so small in relation to usual stack sizes that overaggression to win them is foolish. When you are playing deepstacked (>120xBB), jamming to win blinds is a little ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the antes that Doyle referred to are much larger in relation to stack size than the blinds that most internet players play with.

I think the correlation between average dead money in the pot and aggression necessary is very strong.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Solely because of capped buy-ins on internet card rooms as well as some live one's now. I'm be willing to bet that the stacks Brunson played with were deeper then 120xBBs and at stakes where even a few big blinds add up very quick. I've been to many games live where if you play like Brunson and the first time you get looked up you have a hand you can run the table the rest of the night with ease.