Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Huge pot, crap cards

UTG is LP-P, SB is very tight passive, button is a decent player, no reads on other callers. I raised flop because I might spike a J for the win, or I will get cold callers for my flush. Do I cap river?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB
Old 06-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Huge pot, crap cards

I was just talking about this concept with a friend the other day. My line on this flop would have been to call the initial bet and 3-bet if it came back hoping to build up a huge pot on the flop rather than limit the field. Anyone have any thoughts on which line is a better choice here?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM

I know a lot of people will say just call the flop and not blow people out, but raising just might buy you 3 whole outs. I'm conflicted myself.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised flop because I might spike a J for the win, or I will get cold callers for my flush. Do I cap river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this kind of reasoning all the time. It seems like nothing more than rationalizing reckless play.

Neither of your reasons for this raise make much sense to me at all. Raising because you MIGHT spike a 3-outer--which will STILL leave you with a crappy kicker even if you're not already up against 2pr or better--is crazy.

Then you say you might get cold-callers in case your flush hits? If you want to be paid off when the flush hits, you need to call and allow everyone to stay in.

Without the flush draw this is an easy fold. With it it's an easy call. I can't see any reason whatsoever to raise here.

I wouldn't cap the river. You have the 3rd nut straight.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:45 PM

3 flop cold callers? You get an A+ for table selection, but it looks like your plan to buy outs is dead. As for value, you got as much in the pot as you would have by calling SB and having everyone else call. Since that's unlikely, your raise netted you more value while you have an equity edge with your flush draw. If you think you'll get cold callers, raise it up.

On the river, he 3bet you on a 4str8 board, and you don't have the nuts. Calling is good, unless you know this guy can't read the board.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see this kind of reasoning all the time. It seems like nothing more than rationalizing reckless play.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reasoning comes straight from SSH's protecting your hand. My J was an overcard, and the crappy kicker is a good reason to raise. I also forgot to mention that I thought I may get a free card because my opponents were passive.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 PM

FLOP: I tend to like the flop raise to knock out any A,K,Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in case runner runner [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s come, and it could improve your chances to win with a pair of Jacks also, like you said.

RIVER: I'd cap. I think UTG is more likely to have 77 than or 89s for a better straight. 85 seems too unlikely for anyone to limp with, even a LPP unless he is a SuperDonk. He could have stayed in on the flop with 77 taking a chance he could have the best hand if no one had a ten combined with his 2 chances to spike a set plus 1 1/2 equivilent outs to make a backdoor straight. Since Villian is a Donkish LPP, he may not be giving you credit for a 5 or 89, although he should since you limped in from the BB.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but it looks like your plan to buy outs is dead

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think of this plan?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:06 PM

I like capping the river. UTG's play suggests there is no hand you are losing to on the river.

I would probably smooth call the flop. I don't think our over is strong enough to warrant a raise, and our position sucks, and we don't mind a crapload of callers to build our pot (but then again, if they all call our raise, we still gain...)
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM

This would be a pretty brutal beat if he had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I would just call the flop.