Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 04:19 AM

Default stud 8, 2 way hand vs dangerous boards.

Pokerstars .25/.5, .05 ante stud hilo

seat 1 xxxxxxx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]---------folds
seat 2 xxxxxxx t[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]---------folds
seat 3 xxxxxxx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]---------calls
seat 4 xxxxxxx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]---------folds
seat 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]---------calls
seat 6 xxxxxxx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]---------calls
seat 7 xxxxxxx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] brings in .10

4th street

seat 3 xxxxxxx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] check call
seat 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bet
seat 6 xxxxxxx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] call
seat 7 xxxxxxx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] call

5th street

seat 3 xxxxxxx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] checks calls
seat 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] bets
seat 6 xxxxxxx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls
seat 7 xxxxxxx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls

6th street

seat 3 xxxxxxx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] bet reraise
seat 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raise call
seat 6 xxxxxxx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] fold
seat 7 xxxxxxx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] call call

7th street

seat 3 xxxxxxx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xxx bet
seat 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] call
seat 7 xxxxxxx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xxx call

mainly i was wondering how you woukld play this hand sandwitched between two opponants with such dangerous boards
Old 01-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: stud 8, 2 way hand vs dangerous boards.

You do not play a hand like this unless the game is loose passive and there are lots of callers. You played it out of position and ended up in a four way pot. I do not think your play was +EV then the boards come dangerous and it only looks like a hand that can win one way if at all.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 AM

How would I play this?

3rd Street: FOLD. FOLD. FOLD. Did I mention fold?

4th Street: 3 low, 3 flush with 2 hearts out, baby pair, the other low board is the bring-in. Now that you're in a hand I never would have played, I like the bet.

5th Street: Seat 7, even though the bring-in, has one mean looking board, seat 6 has your pair beaten, and seat 3 has a pair of A's, but has shown weakness by checking 4th. I don't care how much weakness seat 3's shown, with two boards that beat you for high, and a draw to a really rough 8 low, I check. Yes, you've got a gut shot draw, but one of the 4's is gone.

Hold on, hold on: What is your hand? On 3rd, you're showing that you have a pair of 2's, and both of them are hearts. On 6th, you appear to have picked up two cards, the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Did you start with a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:34 PM

I would check 5th with the 4 3 2 yet to act, but I also can't tell what your hand actually is because at some point it changes....did you have a card up your sleeve?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 PM

jus out of curiousity, shoudn't you have had the bring in with your deuce?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm guessing the <font color="red">2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] </font> was in the hole and the <font color="red">5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] </font> was his door card. I'm not going to expend a lot of energy on this hand until that's confirmed.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:19 AM

Sorry, i really messed this post up, i used a little too much copy and paste with my hand. the board i show on the river is correct. i started the hand with 725 with the 2 and 5 of hearts, and picked up the 8c on 4th
Old 01-29-2005, 04:23 AM

yeah that's right andy i messed up all the suit symbols when i originally tried to post the hand, so i got lazy and re did 7th streeyt, then just copy and pasted for the earlier streets. somewhere along the line things got messed up.

i started with 7d,2h,5h and hit the 8c on 4th
Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 AM

Third street, fine. Fourth street, fine. I'm not usually too excited about Eight-draws, but the only other possible four-card low is the bring-in. I don't like him calling.

Betting your made low and open-ender on fifth is OK, I think. The bring-in is starting to look a little scary, and four of your straight outs are gone. I'd probably check and call.

Sixth street is enough to make anyone squirm. I think the raise is OK, because I think you're likely to have the best high hand. Most people would bet Aces-up on fifth street, no? When he three-bets, I think you have to figure he's full and you may be screwed. The bring-in has a scary board, but he's shown no strength throughout the hand. I would call the three-bet on sixth and one more bet on the river.