Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Basic Stud Hi/Lo starting hand question

Been playing a little low-limit Stud Hi-Lo at Stars, and I am wondering what are considered "playable" high starting hands. What about hands like AKQ 3 suits, or KK4, or AA4, or QQJ, or any 3 of the same suit, ... Any advice for a Stud newbie is much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Basic Stud Hi/Lo starting hand question

[ QUOTE ]
Been playing a little low-limit Stud Hi-Lo at Stars, and I am wondering what are considered "playable" high starting hands. What about hands like AKQ 3 suits, or KK4, or AA4, or QQJ, or any 3 of the same suit, ... Any advice for a Stud newbie is much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA4 is very playable and I would raise with it. 3 of the same suit if they are low cards is good or at least 2 low cards preferably to a wheel is best. The other hands are probably not worth playing while you are just learning the game in my opinion, especially the QQJ. The KK4 is ok if the KK is hidden because it looks like you are going for low so there is deception value there. I wouldnt play AKQ except maybe heads up.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:29 PM

AKQ 3 suits- chuck it
any three above ten suited, esp to a ace door card- i'm gonna see fourth.
KK4- if and only if the 4 is the door card, this may be playable for the bring in only, it provides a bunch of bluffing opportunitys, and sometimes when your opponents don't make their low to go with their pair of eights.... i just love showing the pocket KK. I'd never play it if a K was up- it's too obvious what you have inthe hole.
AA4- any position for any raise- raise it yourself- jam it- this is damn close to a perfect stud/8 starting hand(esp with a suit). the only hands i like better are three suited wheel cards, and those only because they're easier to get away from.
QQJ- no way, chuck it (zero low potential, not so good high)
any three suited- i will play any three suited eight or less.

of course, these reccomendations are for a low ante game, say quarter ante 2-4 hi/lo
for a high ante game, i'd loosen up a little bit.
and, of course, if i have something like QQ8 and the other door cards are 4,5,2,7,5,4 i may play it. always watch the dead cards.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any three suited- i will play any three suited eight or less

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing any three 8 or less different rank, suited or not. Is this wrong?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM

Buy Ray Zee's book.

Three-card Eights are not so good unless you have an Ace or a straight or flush possibility.

AA4 is a premium hand. Raise with it most of the time.

The other high pairs are OK in some spots, mostly in short-handed pots. Most players lose money with them, and I don't make much. You would probably do well to avoid them while you're learning.

Three-card flushes need to be very live. If there aren't several other high hands, you should have a couple of low cards.

AKQ is crap. Not much better than AKT. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It's not even much of a hand in high-only stud.

And buy Ray Zee's book.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy Ray Zee's book.

[... lots of useful stuff ....]

And buy Ray Zee's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks. Will do.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:09 PM

in a word, yes.

but if you have the only low door card (other than the bring in), and there are limpers ahead of you, by all means, play 'em. and if there are all part of the same straight, even 678 or 458, i'd play that too.

though they must be live and are very situational.

(disclaimer- i am no stud hi lo expert, but i am a consistant winner up to 2/4 online, never played it live. listen to Andy B before me)
Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 PM

Thanks for your response. Does the rank of your 3-card eights make the decision for you? For example, would you play 236 but not 238?

Also, I am assuming A2K is a crap hand. Is this right, or is it playable because it has both high and low potential?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 PM

236 is almost always playable. 237 is sometimes playable. 238 is only playable in very favorable circumstances.

Bill Murphy apparently has a weakness for AK2 with a two-flush. I've been known to limp in late with it, but I'm a loose cannon.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:02 PM

Thanks again Andy!

Until I can find Zee's book, are there any good online resources other than this excellent forum for basic Stud Hi/Lo strategy?