Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 10:03 AM

Default how to manage bad luck?

How do you keep your head cool when you just keep losing and loosing when you are not doing anything really that wrong?!

Or when you fold hand after hands pf and then when you finally get a hand, you lose that too either to a few outer on the river or like what happened 5 minutes ago: I lost Q8 to Q9 in HU (both had pair of quees) and the very next hand lost a K8 to K9 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It was hilarious!

I had AK, AQ and AJ once, never flopped ANYTHING. Not even a backdoor. And just like a tease, when I has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The flop came [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and just the next flop [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Unbelievable. Time for a break. Only for a day though! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: how to manage bad luck?

Ain't it a blast?

The biggest thing that has helped me is viewing my cumulative results over thousands of hands. Gritting your teeth during those tough times and chalking it up as simply "not being my turn to win" pays handsome dividens.

The more time goes by and the more your roll grows the easier it gets to just shug your shoulders and say, "Meh". Bad beats and cold cards only temporarily impede our progress. However, the way we respond to them can have a profound and long-lasting impact.

Take it from a guy who has angrily tilted off thousands trying to force a win. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM

I experienced this over the weekend losing a bundle playing 4/8. I maintained my composure until the end when I was clearly frustrated. Just step away, and know that it will come your way...

-Erik
Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 PM

I had my higher fullhouse cracked by quads 4 times yesterday, and twice today. I hit quads once yesterday and lost to higher quads yesterday too. I lost with AK and AQ 3 of 3 times against a lower pair, and am 2-1 loss when I had the other hand dominated. I had AA and KK twice today and they both lost to a lower set heads up all in pf. I've had top two pairs beaten by runner runner flush three times. This was all over just 300 hands, so basically I lost every hand I played. -150BB. I think I take the crown of bad luck magnet.

why me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 PM

When bad luck has you down, keep pushing the notion into your brain that in the long run you are winning. Short term bad luck is completely irrelevant in the long run.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had my higher fullhouse cracked by quads 4 times yesterday, and twice today. I hit quads once yesterday and lost to higher quads yesterday too. I lost with AK and AQ 3 of 3 times against a lower pair, and am 2-1 loss when I had the other hand dominated. I had AA and KK twice today and they both lost to a lower set heads up all in pf. I've had top two pairs beaten by runner runner flush three times. This was all over just 300 hands, so basically I lost every hand I played. -150BB. I think I take the crown of bad luck magnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are kidding, right? And if your not let me be the first one to say BS!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:33 AM

hey,

has anyone else ever experienced the feeling that the cards are rigged?? Isn't that sooo delusional?? Granted, the thought usually only crosses your mind, it doesn't chill in there for a while, but it's kinda funny how a bad streak can make your thinking warped.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 AM

I had that playing black jack today. Winless in 15 hands (9 losses and a worrying 6 pushes).

Also had it playing poker, and it's usually a sign I am done for the day.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are kidding, right? And if your not let me be the first one to say BS!

[/ QUOTE ]Not kidding. And since posting, I just busted out of 3 more tournaments in a dominating position or as a huge favourite. (AK vs A4, A6, JJ vs. K9, etc) Do you need me to send you all the HHs as proof?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 AM

Just busted out another tournament when I went all in as a big favourite. I just lost my 5th SNG in a row today alone. At least it's cheaper than getting sucked in a ring game.