Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Will Stud ever fully recover from the HE craze?

I've read articles (FEW and FAR between) suggesting that the next shift in poker will be to 7-card or omaha. This isn't to imply that it will be anytime soon, rather a prediction of what is on the horizon.

I know it's hard to imagine now, but do you think we'll see a rebirth of 7-card stud?

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I went back 7-10 pages and didn't see anything.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Will Stud ever fully recover from the HE craze?

I doubt Stud will take the crown. Hold'Em is loved mostly for it's simplicity, and I don't think Omaha or Stud will compete for that. That said, I have noticed that a lot of players are becoming more interested in learning multiple games. Particularly, in home games I play in, people are interested in playing Stud and Draw games more and more.

I think Hold'Em will remain king - but, hopefully the majority will swing much lower. And...hey, if all those Hold'Em players give Stud a shot that'll be fun for us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I have noticed that a lot of players are becoming more interested in learning multiple games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me as one of them. Started with simple 5 card draw as a kid, NL a year ago. Then I started playing both LHE and NLHE, now I'm moving into Stud. I try to encourage my friends to learn all types of poker. We usually play mixed homegames now.

7-card Stud is quickly becoming one of my favs.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:02 PM

From Mason:
"But the other games aren't dead either, and I can also say this based on our book sales. High-Low-Split Poker for Advanced Players is up over 50 percent from last year, and Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players is up over 20 percent. So I don't expect these games to go away. They're good poker games, and while they won't be as popular as hold 'em, they will still be worth playing."

Mason's Article

Basically what I expected.. Fewer people are playing proportionally, but there are still more stud games.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:09 PM

Anyone who lives within 6 hours of Atlantic City, New Jersey should learn stud if they like money. There are many games at all limits there and there is plenty of action to go around. The problem is there isn't a big "farm system" for stud since many new players start at hold em. So low limit stud is often a rock garden live (I made a post about this to MRBAA awhile back). But the mid limits, there is plenty of action and it should stay like that for the foreseeable future there. I can't wait till I go next weekend!

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who lives within 6 hours of Atlantic City, New Jersey should learn stud if they like money. There are many games at all limits there and there is plenty of action to go around. The problem is there isn't a big "farm system" for stud since many new players start at hold em. So low limit stud is often a rock garden live (I made a post about this to MRBAA awhile back). But the mid limits, there is plenty of action and it should stay like that for the foreseeable future there. I can't wait till I go next weekend!

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be trying this theory out Feb ~17 (Whenever that 3 day weekend is)

I hope to find the mid limits better than the rockish 5-10 I've played.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:33 PM

President's Day. I'll be there. That's one of the biggest gambling weekends of the year. If you can, play 15-30 or 20-40 (at least enough for a shot). These games are MUCH better than 10-20 there and are very beatable. If you won't start there, then move up if you get ahead 15 or 20 bets in the 10-20. The action will be good.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 04:39 PM

What makes the 20-40 games good relative to the 10-20?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 PM

There is much more action overall. Big pots, lots of chasing, more aggression. 10-20 plays tighter to me (though my experience there is limited recently). The ante helps. It just attracts a wealthier crowd at Taj, seems like, with more gamble to them.

Edit: 15-30 and 20-40 play similarly...15 is also good.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 05:38 PM

DO you think that draw will ever make a comeback or 5 card stud? nor will 7 card stud. it really isn't as suited as holdem is for tv coverage. and that will be the bottom line - tv. tv audiences want simple games to follow and stud is far from simple.

a game that only thrives in one locale can not expect to ever catch on strong enough. in 20 years most stud tourn tables will have 17 people siting at it - 1 dealer, 8 players and a nursing aide for each of the players, whereas as the holdem tables will have 21 people at it - 1 dealer, 10 chldren in their carriages and their 10 mothers breast feeding them. in other words, the game of holdem is full of youth and the stud game is rapidly graying.