Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Middle stages....survive or accumulate? (somehwat long)

I’ve been playing some small buy-in SNGs recently to try and get some low-pressure experience. I have been a successful player, but I think my game needs some work. I’d like some feedback on a hand or two where I’m having trouble. This will be pretty detailed, but I’ve always tried to watch the table like a hawk and I think the details are “where it’s at.” If this is any easy or stupid question, then please let me have it.

Here’s the set up:

I’m playing in a party $20 sit n go. I’ve played 32 hands so far.

Player A has not been tight but not extremely loose either. When he plays a hand he normally comes in for a raise. He has shown down several big hands which he played aggressively (i.e., big raises with AK, QQ preflop). He has voluntarily played 34% of the hands and he has raised 25% of the time.

Player B has been slightly tighter but raises basically every hand he chooses to play. His numbers are 25% voluntarily played and he’s raised 22% of the hands. He has been playing a short stack most of the game and has been aggressive with it picking up almost every pot preflop.

I think both are fairly decent players who have an idea of hand values. Neither has gotten out of line after the flop. I also have the idea that player B might be paying attention to the table and realize how aggressive Player A has been. On hand 19 (5 players, bb=T30), Player A raised UTG to 125. Player B goes all in next to act for 525. Everyone including Player A folds.

Now for me. I normally like to play a few more hands in the early stages but I haven’t been dealt a lot. I’ve voluntarily played 19% of the hands and raised twice (6%). One of the 5 has raised less preflop but I don’t believe anyone has played fewer hands than me. If anyone’s paying attention, I would guess that my image is somewhat tight.

Here’s the actual hand:

Hand #33, big blind is T100

Stack sizes:

Hero: 1100
Player A: 2715 (just doubled up on hand 32, AK v QQ preflop)
Player B: 595
Player C: 2470
Player D: 1120

I post the small blind of 50 and am dealt 66. UTG folds. Player A raises to 225. Player B goes all in for 595. I’m next, what is my action?

Do I fold or am I all in? Do you expect Player A to call since he’s now getting 2.3 to 1 on the call or take my tight table image into account and pick a better spot? He’s obviously got some chips to gamble with.

Am I accumulating or surviving?

Thanks for reading this long description and thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Middle stages....survive or accumulate? (somehwat long)

I'm new in the SNG realm but I think this would be an easy fold. Hopefully others more experienced will chime in.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM

I'm hoping for the same. This used to be an easy fold for me as well, but I'm starting to reconsider given my read on the situation.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:20 PM

i fold without a second thought...

w. a PP as low as 66... you're almost at best a coinflip against 2 opponents... and easily domintated by a better pair...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:27 PM

Yu don't need to gamble here. The big satck will call the shortstack and hopefully knock him out putting you in a decent spot on the bubble. If the shortstack wins it just makes it a horserace.

You still have plenty of chips relative to the blinds so just wait for a better spot rather than overcalling with a small pair.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:28 PM

This post seemed very long, so I didn't actually read it. Therefore, I say "push".
Old 04-21-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post seemed very long, so I didn't actually read it. Therefore, I say "push".

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully you're not one of "those" that always bitch about not having enough details to make a proper recommendation..... I for one appreciate the extra detail.

As for me, it's an easy fold too. I think I see where your logic is though... if you push, likely player A will fold figuring he's up against 2 good hands and you'll be heads up against someone with just over half your stack.

Problem with that is 2 fold. First, there's a reasonable chance the big stack calls and smalls pairs are gonna be a dog 3-handed even against 2 random hands much less 2 hands that have raised pre-flop. Second, the small stack is at minimum holding 2 overcards to your pair and it would be a coin flip. Not horrible but there's also a reasonable chance he's holding a bigger pair considering he pushed knowing the big stack would likely call if isolated...

Easy fold at this point of the tourney.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Also keep in mind that most of the people in the 20s are a) not paying attention and/or b) not very good. I would expect almost no one in those games to fold because they noticed you were tight.

Fold this.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:01 PM

With 1100 at 50/100, realize that (generally speaking) the tangible value of each chip you're accumulating is less than the tangible value of each chip you're losing. That is, going from 1100 to 600 is worse than going from 1100 to 1600 is good. By losing 500, you've pretty much completely shot your fold equity at the next level and are much more likely to have to make a stand with a marginal hand (and have to win a showdown with it). By winning 500, you're definitely in a better spot, but you had good fold equity regardless, and having 1600 chips isn't going to give you much more (if any) of an edge to steal chips, etc.

Doesn't mean you become a pussy - you still pick your good battles, just don't jizz over the first opportunity to get all your chips (or a portion of your chips) in in a coin flip-type spot. At least at the higher buy-ins, having fold equity for the 100/200 level is something that shouldn't be pissed away too readily (IME at least).

Edit: At the $20+2 level, fold equity may not be as much of an issue since people will call you more, etc., but as you move up the above applies more.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM

FE is very important at the 20s. What you really need to hope for is the big stack to call and the little stack to get bumped out. Then you have 4 people left and your FE goes way up because no one wants to be the 4th out.