Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Don\'t ever let this happen to you. Please.

[ QUOTE ]

Not only two hearts, but they're also fairly connected.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so a flop bet here will cause a straight draw to fold?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 PM

My point here is that a set is a good hand in Texas Hold'em. A set of aces is a very good hand. A set of aces heads up is an excellent hand. Statistically it will win a gargantuan number of times, especially when the opponent is defending a BB hand.

Rather than fearing he can easily outdraw me, I should be understanding that a vast majority of the time he will be drawing slim to dead and I should let him catch up to a decent second-best hand, like a pair or two pair or even trips.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point here is that a set is a good hand in Texas Hold'em. A set of aces is a very good hand. A set of aces heads up is an excellent hand. Statistically it will win a gargantuan number of times, especially when the opponent is defending a BB hand.

Rather than fearing he can easily outdraw me, I should be understanding that a vast majority of the time he will be drawing slim to dead and I should let him catch up to a decent second-best hand, like a pair or two pair or even trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are forgetting is that being heads up blind v. blind is a very low trust environment and many players will happily put more money into the pot without having much.

However, checking this flop after raising preflop pretty much screams "I have a decent piece of this flop--at least an ace, please don't bluff and act like an idiot!!!"

scrub
Old 04-16-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not only two hearts, but they're also fairly connected.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so a flop bet here will cause a straight draw to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but they will call, which is what you were afraid they wouldn't do, right?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[...] limit hold'em is all about value betting, which which means you want to get maximum value for your hand, often through agressive betting. You'll find that in limit hold'em it's best to play in a straightforward manner, that is, bet and raise when you actually have a decent hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Regarding the flop...if he's got the case A, he'll play back at you no matter what you do. If he's got a strong draw, he'll probably raise your bet & call a 3-bet, maybe even cap it. If neither of those statements are true, it is unlikely that the turn will make him a good enough second-best hand to make up for the times you miss bets on the flop.

You know this already. Remember the chart regarding when & when not to slowplay. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What you are forgetting is that being heads up blind v. blind is a very low trust environment and many players will happily put more money into the pot without having much.

However, checking this flop after raising preflop pretty much screams "I have a decent piece of this flop--at least an ace, please don't bluff and act like an idiot!!!"

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't claim this one, I've seen it before on this forum: fast-playing is the new slow-playing.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't claim this one, I've seen it before on this forum: fast-playing is the new slow-playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used it myself, and I agree. I only slowplay like .1% of the time. That's once out of every 1,000 hands. This is one of the times to do it in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fast-playing is the new slow-playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 PM

No offense, but you're wrong.

Read SSH and HEFAP again to see why.