Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Lets try this again

$2/$4 NL at FTP

I open raise to $16 in MP with 5s 4s. The button and SB call.
Me ($433)...Button ($510)..SB (100)

The pot is $52 and the flop comes 9d 2s 3s. Nice flop for me. The SB leads out $20. Im perfectly happy getting all in with him, but what about the button?

Would you raise to $90 or so to put SB all in and lose the button, or just call and hope he calls also?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Lets try this again

[ QUOTE ]

The pot is $52 and the flop comes 9d 2s 3s. Nice flop for me. The SB leads out $20. Im perfectly happy getting all in with him, but what about the button?

Would you raise to $90 or so to put SB all in and lose the button, or just call and hope he calls also?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you wanna be heads up against the SB? Wouldn't some kind of donkish one pair hand be his most likely holding here?

I'd probably call and hope button tags along.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 AM

You can call here, as you will still have odds to call SBs all-in on the turn even if you miss.

Try to keep button in (and if he raises, then you set him in when it gets back to you).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you wanna be heads up against the SB? Wouldn't some kind of donkish one pair hand be his most likely holding here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im the favorite against one pair and if I push he might fold. Maybe he only folds 10-15% of the time, but like I said, Im the fav anyway.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im the favorite against one pair and if I push he might fold. Maybe he only folds 10-15% of the time, but like I said, Im the fav anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, i forgot about the suits, sorry. I'm still for calling tho. This also lets you see how much button likes his hand before deciding how to proceed.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 PM

With your big draw the hand you don't want to see out of the button is a flush draw (you would rather see a set). I'd raise the 90 or so. If called by the button fire allin at any non flush card turn. If raised by the button think about call and jam or jam.

Another line you can take is to raise the number which will reopen betting when the sb jams. In this case that looks like a semi-believable $40. This gives you a chance to figure out what the button might have an allows you to possible make a better decision against them. This line works best if you know the sb well enough to believe he has a high probability of jamming here.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
You can call here, even though you will still have odds to call SBs all-in on the turn even if you miss, because you want to keep button in and beacause SB might check the turn but still pay you off for a half-pot bet if you hit the river, and these two factors outweighs the raise's folding equity and meta-game advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

That's a valid line of argument, as oposed to "you can call because you will still have odds to call the turn even if you miss". I don't think I agree though, I think it's a raise.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:59 PM

You've got a pretty good flop with the biggest problem being OOP to the button. In a raised pot I'm not sure what the calling standards are. Could be such hands as suited connectors like JT, 76, or Axs. Of course your stright flush draw is good, but you have no idea if your straight or flush will be good. I think you have the right idea with an isolation raise. I think this hand begs for position against the small stack. And what kind of move is SB making with a weak lead instead of checking to PFR? When in doubt go with your first instinct, isolate the SB and push the button off his hand, assuming he has a hand.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:24 PM

First off, I think it's safe to assume that our straight will be good if we make it.

Secondly, I agree with the raise, mostly because we can chase button off of a flush draw, which is really the only thing that we're worried about him having. If we call, button comes along, and hit a spade on the turn, we may get stacked.

By raising, we can at least make the odds improper for a call from button.

I do, however, like the idea of the small raise, to let SB re-open the betting, and pushing if he does so. Gets a little more dead money in the pot with only minor risk. The only bad situation I can see is if button calls our raise, SB just calls, then a blank hits the turn. That would be ugly.