Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Theory on \"mind reading.\"

Mind reading as in "empathizing with others" not "hijacking the thoughts of others."

Apparently there are some brain cells which are activated when we identify with the actions or emotions of others. These cells have been verified through repeated tests, and exist in several different primates.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...necanreadminds

I just find this interesting because I think it has implications in poker. I think that if this theory is right, then there might be a physical reason why one person is better than another at reading opponents.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Theory on \"mind reading.\"

I read that article this morning as well. I'm still not buying into it entirely, but it was validating for me. Even when I was a child, I always imagined that I had some kind of "empathic" ability. I've always felt I had a gift for picking up on (and even sharing) the emotions of others, even if they tried to hide them, but told myself I was being silly. Looks like maybe I haven't been imagining this phenomenon after all.

I'm gonna start listening to that little voice more often when playing live.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Default skeptical

I don't see how 'mirror neurons' in any way support the idea that people can read minds. they don't increase one's ability to read mental cues, (ie. body and facial language) all they do is to make you feel akin to those experienceing these emotions.

why do people cry during sad movies?? because they relate to the characters. being more influenced by the emotions of others doesn't make you any more aware that they are expeiriencing htose emotions.

take sociopaths as an example. They do not feel fear in the same sense we do, and they cannot relate to the emotions that other people have. sociopaths can recognize the fear in others such as shaking, tearing up, even vomiting, and so know that some1 else is afraid however they have no concept of the internal turmoil that this entails.

I don't believe that ones cognitive ability to recognize emotional responses in others has anything to do with ones ability to empathize with others or to feel (because of 'mirror cells' or any other neurological responnse) akin to, or the same emotions as another.

-little fishy
Old 04-28-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: skeptical

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how 'mirror neurons' in any way support the idea that people can read minds. they don't increase one's ability to read mental cues, (ie. body and facial language) all they do is to make you feel akin to those experienceing these emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are in tune with yourself, then you can tell what that emotion means and gain a better understanding of why they are taking an action (bet/raise, call/check, or fold).
Old 04-28-2005, 04:35 PM

reading the holy bible, old testament, written by brunson, one comes across his own ideas of ESP. a sofisticated mechanism such as the human brain is able to, unwittingly, send out an electrical impulse of "pair of Jacks": why not? are we saying cynically that we already know everything and will never progress? will we never use those dormant portions of the brain, the other HUGE percentage (as much as 90%) of the brain that awaits activation and/or development?

but consider: how many times has it been stated by a player, "I knew it was coming", or "I felt it was going to flop"? Coincidences, of course---the reasoning mind insists that is the answer. but with the idea of "mind-reading", the reasoning mind must take a back-seat, so to speak, and allow that Reasoning isnt the only way to have knowledge or, practically speaking, information at the table.

Intuition, telepathy, precognition---these are not new ideas just brought forth, and they have been debated and questioned before. Now: to apply them to poker and include them in theory, that is indeed something new...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 PM

seeing someone crying and feeling sad along with them gives you no more insight into knowing why they are sad. only clear thought out analysis does this.

Bobby Baldwin says that he made the greatest improvement in his skills as a hand reader while working as a dealer. I doubt that he grew more mirror nuerons during this time, i think he simply got better at analysing betting patterns and picking up on facial and body cues.

I don't see a sing;e ounce of evidence in the story that validates mind reading and i don't see any evidence in the story of a mental mechanism that in anyway helps with hand reading. I'm not sayin that different people aren't inherently better or worse ant readings others, i just don't believe that these mystery cells are the answer...

ps. did you see the related stories links??

[ QUOTE ]
Related Stories

Brain Breakthrough: Scientists Know What You'll Do
Brain Power: Mind Control of External Devices
Only Using Part of Your Brain? Think Again
Study: Your Brain Works Like the Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think empathy = mindreading and i don't think these things make you a better card player

-little fish
Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Oops, I missed the related stories link [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:07 AM

is it possible to train up this little skill? it would be another skill to learn. i have always beleived that there is some sort of scientific, not magical, form of mind reading. it sounds very possible.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 AM

Maybe sociopaths make the best poker players.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:32 AM

Those hyperbolic lines actually head what appear to be accounts of legitimate research.

Brain Power: Mind Control of External Devices