Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Bin Laden tape final nail in Bushs\' coffin

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone really believes that this is not damaging to bush then you are a hopless soul and would not be convinced to vote bush out of office if it was determined that he in fact was responsible for the 9/11 attacks himself. Some of you will make excuses for any senario at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this makes me. First off, I'm a big Kerry supporter. I think Bush is a terrible President, and have absolutely no intention of voting for him.

Having said this, I believe this "October Surprise" is a heavy-handed attempt to sway the US electorate. If the American people views this as an attempt to influence the Presidential election in Kerry's favor (and frankly, given the timing, I don't see how else you can view it), I think it helps Bush enormously.

I don't think the American people will react favorably to this attempt at persuasion, and many who otherwise might have voted for Kerry will vote for Bush just to show Osama that he can't influence them.

I found the message very depressing.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:35 PM

You do realize that Bush was given every resource at his disposal, he enjoyed a 90%+ approval rating around the world after 9/11 and was given permission to use force by congress. Clinton was not given any of those things, can you imagine how the public would have reacted had Clinton invaded Afghanistan? His approval rating would have dropped.

If you want to list Clinton's failures you cannot do so (honestly) by comparing what he did to catch Osama to what Bush has attempted to do.

(and what exactly was Bush doing prior to the 9/11 attacks?)
Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 PM

When the police post a hotline asking for information regarding a criminal and offer a reward they will receive tens of thousands of phone calls that don't turn out to be anything but greedy pigs who are lying to receive the reward. Now shifting through those thousands of phony calls for the 1 guenuine one is what counts, and Bush didn't have time.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Default interesting side story

In Canada they are reporting that the US state dept. tried
to prevent the release of this new tape.

See:

Globe story

D.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone really believes that this is not damaging to bush then you are a hopless soul and would not be convinced to vote bush out of office if it was determined that he in fact was responsible for the 9/11 attacks himself. Some of you will make excuses for any senario at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this makes me. First off, I'm a big Kerry supporter. I think Bush is a terrible President, and have absolutely no intention of voting for him.

Having said this, I believe this "October Surprise" is a heavy-handed attempt to sway the US electorate. If the American people views this as an attempt to influence the Presidential election in Kerry's favor (and frankly, given the timing, I don't see how else you can view it), I think it helps Bush enormously.

I don't think the American people will react favorably to this attempt at persuasion, and many who otherwise might have voted for Kerry will vote for Bush just to show Osama that he can't influence them.

I found the message very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I admit I see your point. I really hope that is not the case. But the US public as a whole is quite stupid and this seems like a plausable senario.

I really hope not. Intelligent people might look at it and say, man, bush is not doing the job he claims he is.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:42 PM

Several Muslim extremist leaders have mentioned that they would perfer to see Bush reelected as he is a symbol of everything that they hate about america, and using him they are able to increase their recruitment numbers.
Osama could just as well want Bush to win, If he has thought this out, or he may think that Kerry will be less Zeolous in searching for him. I dont think any one can difinitively say who he personally would want to win. Hell he may just enjoy thinking that he is disrupting/influencing the election wtihout actually caring about the outcome.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:03 PM

That is a horrible arguement. Clinton was a wuss when it came to fighting these guys.

They bombed us time after time and Clinton just sat there... once he blew up an empty mud hut with million dollar cruise missiles.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Several Muslim extremist leaders have mentioned that they would perfer to see Bush reelected as he is a symbol of everything that they hate about america, and using him they are able to increase their recruitment numbers.
Osama could just as well want Bush to win, If he has thought this out, or he may think that Kerry will be less Zeolous in searching for him. I dont think any one can difinitively say who he personally would want to win. Hell he may just enjoy thinking that he is disrupting/influencing the election wtihout actually caring about the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Officials in Iran have said they prefer Bush to Kerry.

I just read a translated transcript of the new Bin Laden tape... and in it he says that it basically does not matter who we elect as the next president, it's U.S. policy against muslim nations that must change. He specifically mentions Lebanon and the Palestinians in reference to past injustices against 'his' people.

I think, if there were ever a time to take Bin Laden literally, it would be now. He's basically saying... elect whoever the <bleep> you want to... until you change your foreign policy, we're going to be your enemy.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM

You sound like you wanna give in?
If bin laden goes away there will always be someone to take his place.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a horrible arguement. Clinton was a wuss when it came to fighting these guys.

They bombed us time after time and Clinton just sat there... once he blew up an empty mud hut with million dollar cruise missiles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I repeat, how many Americans were killed by Al-Qaeda when Bush was president compared to when Clinton was president? What did Bush do to stop Al Qaeda before 9/11 that Clinton didn't do? Answer: Nothing. I'm not saying that Clinton did everything right, but neither did Bush.