Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2004, 04:29 AM

Default Should I have checked the turn?

UTG is an unknown player to me, and I'm new to the table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results to follow
Old 05-20-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Should I have checked the turn?

If UTG is an unknown to you, you probably shouldn't be 3-betting him with AQo.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:28 AM

This is a moot question. You should have folded preflop. You haven't passed the Ace-Queen test.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a moot question. You should have folded preflop. You haven't passed the Ace-Queen test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance, what's the Ace Queen test?
Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG is an unknown to you, you probably shouldn't be 3-betting him with AQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're probably right, but can you explain why? I'll take a shot at it but let me know if I'm right or you have anything to add.

It must be because most normal UTG raising hands beat or dominate mine. Let's see there's AA, AK, AQ, KK, QQ, JJ, TT... that's probably what I'm looking at the vast majority of the time. I guess I'm only good if they are rasing AJ or KQ which isn't that often.

I guess the best I can hope for is a coin flip against an underpair, but even then my implied odds are no good because I'm unlikely to get any action from them when I hit. The few times I get them to fold their underpair when I miss aren't going to make up those bets.

Wow I really am a dog here, not sure why I thought raising was a good idea. Would a three-bet with AKo be correct here? Would the three-bet be correct if the raiser was in middle to late position position?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It must be because most normal UTG raising hands beat or dominate mine. Let's see there's AA, AK, AQ, KK, QQ, JJ, TT... that's probably what I'm looking at the vast majority of the time. I guess I'm only good if they are rasing AJ or KQ which isn't that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right. You want them to have AJ/KQ but if their range of UTG raises is as wide as you describe, which is reasonable to assume, you're likely dominated. You're in terrible shape against AA/KK/QQ/AK.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I really am a dog here, not sure why I thought raising was a good idea. Would a three-bet with AKo be correct here? Would the three-bet be correct if the raiser was in middle to late position position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know that UTG will only raise AA/KK there, I would 3-bet AKo all the live-long day.