Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM

Default WHATEVER!

i noticed that the last 3 hands we saw with PHIL,on the 2 hands he called the all ins on he knew he was beat but called anyway.His attitude was like OK YOU GOT ME BUT I CALL. It was strange and i know there were more hands played than we saw,just didnt expect to see a world class player with a WHATEVER attitude.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: WHATEVER!

Maybe he was priced in to call?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM

It's pretty well established that Phil finds side action more interesting than tournaments.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty well established that Phil finds side action more interesting than tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo

he said it himself, "tournaments are boring"
Old 08-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Do the words "pot odds" mean anything to you?

-SmileyEH
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the words "pot odds" mean anything to you?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Phil's not an idiot, he's effing Phil Ivey. It's possible that he was taking slightly the worst of it in one or both, but he had good reason to call. He's not just going to call off all his chips as a dog without an adequate overlay from the pot.

colson10
Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 PM

On the "the flush draw hand" Phil priced himself in after betting 125K on the flop and Lisandro only had 311K before the hand. With 74c looking at a 9c 6h kc flop, his str8 chances were remote, but the price was right after his semi-bluff

"the str8 hand" is a little more bothersome on the outset but makes sense if Phil thinks Lisandro caught the 10 and not the K (and Lisandro did just call Phils preflop 36K bet):

Phil has Qh Jd and sees a Ks 4s Td board, then takes a 60K stab at it. Lisandro with Qs Qd goes all in, forcing Phil to match another 378K at a 571K pot and knock Lisandro out. I'm guessing without any flush outs, he must think his Q and J give him the extra six outs to make the call (and justify giving up the chip lead)

Now what I don't understand is why so many people are taking comments out of context like his "tournaments are boring" or others' "he prefers the action at side tables to tournaments".

Do those of you parrotting these really, honestly think this applies to the final tables of tournaments --and especially HU- where the prize money differences are hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars (571K vs 299K in this particular circuit event). Does Phil really average 135K/hr profit in his side games? (the HU with lisandor lasted over 2 hours).

I'm more inclided to believe those comments pertain to the monotony of the early stages/days of tournies, but I dont see how this can be applied to Lisando. If true, then WHY would he even bother to play the tournaments in the first place if he didnt care if he took down 1st or not?

The true reasons why Phil seemed nonplussed about his late action play are probably known only to Phil (WSOP points, tourney the next day, bad chinese food, who knows) -- but I find it hard to believe that he was either actually bored heads-up or was in fact raring to go make more money at the side tables at the time... Ok I digressed. The "str8 draw hand" was what made me post this in the first place
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the "the flush draw hand" Phil priced himself in after betting 125K on the flop and Lisandro only had 311K before the hand. With 74c looking at a 9c 6h kc flop, his str8 chances were remote, but the price was right after his semi-bluff

"the str8 hand" is a little more bothersome on the outset but makes sense if Phil thinks Lisandro caught the 10 and not the K (and Lisandro did just call Phils preflop 36K bet):

Phil has Qh Jd and sees a Ks 4s Td board, then takes a 60K stab at it. Lisandro with Qs Qd goes all in, forcing Phil to match another 378K at a 571K pot and knock Lisandro out. I'm guessing without any flush outs, he must think his Q and J give him the extra six outs to make the call (and justify giving up the chip lead)

Now what I don't understand is why so many people are taking comments out of context like his "tournaments are boring" or others' "he prefers the action at side tables to tournaments".

Do those of you parrotting these really, honestly think this applies to the final tables of tournaments --and especially HU- where the prize money differences are hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars (571K vs 299K in this particular circuit event). Does Phil really average 135K/hr profit in his side games? (the HU with lisandor lasted over 2 hours).

I'm more inclided to believe those comments pertain to the monotony of the early stages/days of tournies, but I dont see how this can be applied to Lisando. If true, then WHY would he even bother to play the tournaments in the first place if he didnt care if he took down 1st or not?

The true reasons why Phil seemed nonplussed about his late action play are probably known only to Phil (WSOP points, tourney the next day, bad chinese food, who knows) -- but I find it hard to believe that he was either actually bored heads-up or was in fact raring to go make more money at the side tables at the time... Ok I digressed. The "str8 draw hand" was what made me post this in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I think you are right (odds, early rounds, etc.)....he was talking about early but still, I don't think seemed too excited about that heads-up match. Could be what ESPN gave us (okay, more than likely was) or just that he is so freakin' good that he figured he had it won. Maybe he thought dude was playing "short stack" strategy....who knows. All I know is that Ivey is WAYYYYYYYYYY better than me!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nonplussed

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Whateva! Whateva! I do what I want.