Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Default QQ $2/$5 live hand

The game is the Morongo $2/$5NL, $300 cap on a Wednesday night. The game is currently 8-handed, I think.

Villain in this hand has around $400 after buying in short (a couple of times) and doubling up twice. He likes to call preflop raises, and he's been very agressive post-flop, leading into the PFR often. If I had to estimate his stats, it'd be something along the lines of 45/15.

I have Villain way covered. I've been playing pretty tight, but had a pretty good rush and one hand where we had a 4-way all-in where I had a straight over a lower straight and two guys on flush draws (that missed, thankfully). Still, I think Villain sees me as tight and maybe he thinks I fold a lot. I have folded twice to him when he's led into me after I've raised PF, once was with a missed AK on a draw heavy board (i had nothing), and the other was where I raised from LP with garbage and missed.

Folded to me, I raise to $20 from MP with QQ (I forget what suits, irrelevant), one LP caller, and Villain calls from the SB.

Flop $60: 5 5 J rainbow

Villain leads for $75, I call, LP folds

Turn $210: A

Villain hesitates, then bets $150. I go into the tank for a minute, then call.

River $510: A

Villain pushes, I insta-call
Old 11-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: QQ $2/$5 live hand

Why just call this flop? I'd stick in a healthy raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:49 PM

I would have raised on the flop to $225, you more than likely have the best hand at that point and that might have slowed the villain down.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why just call this flop? I'd stick in a healthy raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the other caller and Villain's overbet on the flop, a "healthy raise" pot commits me when I'm WA/WB. Calling also gives me a chance to see what the other player in the hand is going to do without risking more chips. If LP raises, then I can safely and easily fold.

The other reason for calling is that my read on Villain is that he won't call a raise except when he has a 5 in this case (which could easily be in his hand range). I put him on either a 5 or a J, with a J being the most likely thing. When the A fell on the turn, my decision was whether or not he had anything as good as AJ. I decided that he didn't and called the turn...if he hadn't pushed the river, then I would have, but with my read, I liked letting him bet my hand for me.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Hmm I'm not sure if I like it.

He could have a 5 here.. but then I doubt he plays a 5 this way, it looks more like a bluff. I doubt he has an A, because it doesn't take much thought to come up with an action on the turn unless he seriously over values TPGK.

I think his range can includes more Jx's and 5x's than anything, its a tough onebut I probably call if I think hes over playing Jx here.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised on the flop to $225, you more than likely have the best hand at that point and that might have slowed the villain down.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i want to slow Villain down if I have the best hand? i like it when my opponents shovel chips into pots where they are way behind.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the A fell on the turn, my decision was whether or not he had anything as good as AJ. I decided that he didn't and called the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

With this read, I like the turn and river.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Love the flop call - the board is drawless, and you definitely want to discourage this guy from leading into you after you've raised pre-flop.

On the turn, if you're willing to call a river bet from him, then why not min-raise here? I think you'll find out in a hurry where you stand. Raising the turn lets him get away from a worse hand, but I doubt you were getting much more out of a worse hand anyway after that A fell. However, when the second A falls on the river, a lot of villains will stop giving you credit for holding an A, and think that their J-x holding is good.

You pretty much have to call the river (he only has about $150 left behind, right?). I think he shows you either K-J, K-K, or a middling A.

Edited to hopefully make some sense.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i want to slow Villain down if I have the best hand? i like it when my opponents shovel chips into pots where they are way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully this worked out for you, but if i have a hand like AKo or AKs from the sb and someone from LP/EP/MP raises i'm just going to call as well. then again, you know your opponent better than i do.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully this worked out for you, but if i have a hand like AKo or AKs from the sb and someone from LP/EP/MP raises i'm just going to call as well. then again, you know your opponent better than i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think AK will lead into me here. i don't think that he thinks he's bluffing.