Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Default is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit?

people talk about how the best players are fearless and not scared, etc.

but ive never seen a LAG player that didnt tilt, and tilt badly at times. SR is your star and he obviously monkey tilts on occasion. ive played against players who i've considered to have great ability, but their tilt might make them a losing player.

there are plenty good weak-tight players that play scared (or extra cautious) that never tilt. they have the advantage: peace of mind. they dont have to struggle with discipline or tilt nearly as much as your fearless LAG.

id estimate that if i played my A game(stopped tilting), my winrate could be 50% higher.

mostly, i question if i couldnt make more $$$ 12 tabling playing very tight then i could trying to 'play poker'. whenever i try to 'play poker' it seems like im the one doing all the work, trying to balance everything while weak-tightie sits back waiting in between the LAGS to hit his hand when one of them pushes to hard.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit?

Well, all this comes to is that controlling tilt = more $$$. If you can control your emotions AND 'play poker', you'd make a lot more than 12-tabling weak-tight nut-peddling. Tilting is universal - if you're playing weak-tight instead of LAG, you're still suspectible to tilting - such as when your top set on the turn gets rivered by a flush draw or something. I don't think a weak-tight players have a different personality - I've seen many weak-tighties blow up after waiting for that big hand and getting stacked by a 2-outer. And I've seen many LAGs that rebuy and play exactly the same after a big beat, and use their image after that beat to win back twice what they lost.

In other words, I don't think being 'weak-tight' means you're less susceptible to tilt.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:12 PM

I've definitely noticed that the more I open up and play very aggressive in shorter games, the greater my tendency to go on tilt. I never tilt real bad though, probably because I'm a nit at heart.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Totally table dependent on the weak tight stuff. I play semi weak tight sometimes if table conditions warrant.

The tilt/no tilt stuff seems a different topic altogether. I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can control your emotions AND 'play poker', you'd make a lot more than 12-tabling weak-tight nut-peddling.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been counting on this since i began playing, but at the end of 40K hands, tilt always sticks its ugly head out.

trying to play 40hr/wk for a living, not titling is imposible IMO. half the time i dont even feel like playing poker. i just want the $.

if you are playing aggressive poker, there are just too many situations/places to [censored] up. a fast example is playing 4-handed, the percentage of time you fire second barrels.

im not suggesting being a total nut-peddler. im just talking about playing a safer/tighter game. i could name party 10/20 players if i wanted whose game i think fits in here.

im like 23/12 now. im talking about bringing it down to 18/7, playing 8.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've definitely noticed that the more I open up and play very aggressive in shorter games, the greater my tendency to go on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what im talking about.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The tilt/no tilt stuff seems a different topic altogether. I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.

[/ QUOTE ]i know plenty of rocks that can tilt bad, but i know some that almost never tilt. i dont know anyone who plays kinda LAG and doesnt tilt, including myself...
playing really fast can be very emotionally exhausting. when you are playing your Agame and thinking about 1000 things every hand its tough to stay focused when a series of bad things happen to you...

i like this post. a few months ago, when i was playing NL online almost everyday (as SH as possible), i thought alot about this... i actually tried to play some sessions with an extremely tight style... lasted like three hands every time ,lol.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Playing LAG is a very mentally exhausting style, especially if your multi-tabling for 30-40hrs a week. The more LAG you play the more tough decisions you face, more tough decisions = making more mistakes no matter how good you are. The variance can be extremely mentally draining and stressful, especially if you do not have a extremely large bankroll or some twisted disregard for the money. Which is why I try to not play much more than ~20hrs a week, so as to limit burnout and to always try to play my A game.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that as a LAG you 1) make a lot more plays that can put you on tilt (every once in a while, you're going to reraise a CO raiser who has AA) 2) can more easily easily screw up when on tilt because your plays are based on some subjective things that you can lie about ("He's just trying to make a move here."). Weak/tight players play a much more structured game, and are therefore less likely to regret their plays AND have a much easier time suppressing tilt by reverting to their structure.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing LAG is a very mentally exhausting style, especially if your multi-tabling for 30-40hrs a week. The more LAG you play the more tough decisions you face, more tough decisions = making more mistakes no matter how good you are. The variance can be extremely mentally draining and stressful, especially if you do not have a extremely large bankroll or some twisted disregard for the money. Which is why I try to not play much more than ~20hrs a week, so as to limit burnout and to always try to play my A game.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

this is especially true sh'ed.