Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Should I ever.....

Complete with big pairs in the small blind or check them in the big blind in larger multi-way pots in standard 50-200bb online stacks or should I wait for much deeper 500bb stacks before playing with this.

-Jason
Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Should I ever.....

Bigger pairs I'm assuming AA KK QQ, but I would say no, if it's multi way, like 3 limpers and SB completes, and I have AA, I would rather pop it big and take it down there, then have the flop come K86 flush draw and be oop vs. smart/tricky opponets. IMO that is. But I only play $3-$6 NL 6 max on pp, so I'm not the best to answer this question.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:13 AM

I think its okay, but with deep stacks its better to raise more often preflop with a wide range of hands, those big pairs included.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:21 AM

Ive never done it in my life, was just thinking about maybe experimenting a little with it.

-Jason
Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Complete with big pairs in the small blind or check them in the big blind in larger multi-way pots in standard 50-200bb online stacks or should I wait for much deeper 500bb stacks before playing with this.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

assume you're looking for set over set. say that stcks them every time. your set chances are 1/7. theirs are (2/3)1/7*PP frequency. saying maybe 2 PP's in large limped pots so you get set over set 4/3(1/49) = is say 2% of the time. say you stack off 1%. that's like 5 BB long term profit even on 500BB stacks.

bottom line, this line is almost always worse than playing hard with a varaiety of hands, even at 500BB.

fim

PS- thanksfor responding to my other thread good advice.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:25 AM

The problem with checking the BB is when you do come out betting hard, people will often be tempted to give you at least some credit for whatever ass two pair or crap straight is possible, and so you're not gonna win a big one off a lesser two pair hand. Limping on the button after a couple limpers is probably better than checking the BB, IMO, especially if you have aggro players in the blinds.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive never done it in my life, was just thinking about maybe experimenting a little with it.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done it, although rarely. Fortunately the time I did it I got a set over set with Aces vs some poor sap [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 AM

Pretty good points I guess. I was more thinking about winning some huge pot because no one can possibly put you on a certain hand. Like in Prev's hand if u flop set over set this style its just cruel and unusual punishment for the victim and they will fork you over a stack of 4000bbs.

-Jason
Old 08-30-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with checking the BB is when you do come out betting hard, people will often be tempted to give you at least some credit for whatever ass two pair or crap straight is possible

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 AM

People are more likely to give you credit for a bluff (a whiffed AK) if you raise preflop, so you're more likely to get paid off postflop by someone who hits a smaller pair/bluffers. If you play your big pair slowly preflop, and the flop comes down all rags, people will give you credit for TP or two pair, which is basically what you actually have. That's no fun.