Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Advice on Moving Beyond 30/60 Online

oh not saying you could do it live without playing v high...but what's stopping you at 4 tables online?

edit nvm. It's just not as hard as you'd think.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 AM

The last two posts basically sum up my two thought processes regarding moving up. The only reason I included my winrate in the original post was to show everyone that I was running better than could be expected (a pertinent psychological fact) and that I had a sufficient bankroll. I believe both of those bits of info are important.

I both really want to test myself by playing higher and be conservative and see how good I'm really playing (another 80K hands or something at 30/60). I wanted and received exactly the kind of advice I was looking for from a lot of people, so thanks. I'm going to weigh all this stuff in my head for a while, and if you see me getting eaten alive in the big games you know what my decision was.

Tony
Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 AM

there is absolutely nothign wrong with trying the higher limits...just don't expect to make more money up there. They'll definately challange you and that will help you at the lower limits for sure. Just have the discipline to play down when the games aren't looking good at the higher limits.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On alot of other sites...like AP or Pokerroom, etc...some of the high-limiters are pretty terrible. My friend who usually plays 50/100 or 80/160 took a shot at pokerrooms 200/400 last night, and even from my perspective (I dont play that high, but I was over at his place watching)...the play was pretty terrible from most of the players. He stopped when the donators left.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2-4 at Pokerroom last night was extraordinary by any scale I think. One very solid regular was probably drunk and burned through a lot of cash, and there was another total fish who started the night playing 50/100 with me, and eventually decided that it was too easy (he ran good for about 100 hands), and went for 1-2 and then 2-4.

I sat for a long while contemplating whether or not I was gonna play, and then decided to take shot. I got in 97 hands at 38bb/100. It was indeed pretty sweet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Might I ask who your friend is? I probably play with him all the time.

Anyway, the point is I have never seen so incredibly fishy play above 10/20 in my life so I think this was a one time thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

PMed. He made a fair bit last night. Although I think they got some suckouts on him today.

He called me last night and was like "this game is insane" I was watching, its was pretty amazing to watch. He sat out after the softies left.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty frustrating, but there's an issue with the extent of my youth. Soon though ... soon. Enough said?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you really want to play, there are places in Europe with lower age limits.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 AM

If you do move higher be very careful as you make notes and observations on players, specifically when two players are involved in a hand you aren't involved in. There are some players who are very good, but have very deep histories against eachother such that it can make one or both of them look like morons when they're playing eachother (example: two tough players in a 300/600 game. 5 handed one raises UTG, the other 3 bets from the button, UTG caps. Flop is Qxx turn a king and river a 9 with UTG betting all streets and button raising his A9o on the river, getting called and being good). Additionally, don't make fast judgments about people you do play against. They may test you a few times with some bluffs, but don't just automatically assume they're loose aggressive as many are very capable of adjusting and deciding to only value raise you and change gears often. Sure, a 45/8 guy is just that and probably a fish but you'll run into a lot of 35/26's in 5 handed games who play a lot of hands and play them very well postflop.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do move higher be very careful as you make notes and observations on players, specifically when two players are involved in a hand you aren't involved in. There are some players who are very good, but have very deep histories against eachother such that it can make one or both of them look like morons when they're playing eachother (example: two tough players in a 300/600 game. 5 handed one raises UTG, the other 3 bets from the button, UTG caps. Flop is Qxx turn a king and river a 9 with UTG betting all streets and button raising his A9o on the river, getting called and being good). Additionally, don't make fast judgments about people you do play against. They may test you a few times with some bluffs, but don't just automatically assume they're loose aggressive as many are very capable of adjusting and deciding to only value raise you and change gears often. Sure, a 45/8 guy is just that and probably a fish but you'll run into a lot of 35/26's in 5 handed games who play a lot of hands and play them very well postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice
Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i have any idea what i'm talking about (which i probably don't) then 3.4 BB/100 is $204/100 right? that is a RIDICULOUS number... why would you want to take a completely unnecessary risk? i say use the 30/60 to pad your bankroll for another 50K-75K more hands and then move up. but i would also advise to move back down after the thrill is gone...

if it's not broke don't fix it -- you seem to be doing very well at the 30/60 so keep making money there

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a very competitive player to beat the 30/60 for high amounts and once these competitive players have beat it they want to beat the next challenge, it's not about $/hour for a lot of players. The ones who don't seem to understand this are the ones who aren't competitive enough for these stakes.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 AM

Sad but true, 1800.

TSP
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sad but true, 1800.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? Does this mean that I shouldn't aspire to the upper (online) limits unless I have a fire in my belly? Put another way, does this mean I should stop at 30/60 if the only reason for me to move up is to make more money? I'm asking this seriously because (other than tournament play), I play almost exclusively to make money.