Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Too weak or just right?

Villian in this hand is a 64/4, but he can play tricky postflop.
After this hand was over, I wasn't sure how I felt about the way I played it. Comments welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 02-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Too weak or just right?

Bet the turn. If he has a 2 then you likely still have outs on the river. You can take the free showdown if you don't improve.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Too weak or just right?

If I may play devil's advocate for a moment here...

I'm a fan of playing your hand this way.

Case for betting:
- You can just check behind on the river.
- You don't give a free card to a weaker hand

Case for checking:
- You can't be check-raised; against a tricky opponent, who may have played two spades this way, he might be checkraising you. I highly doubt he is checkraising a 2 here. He is either leading out, or check calling.
- The only hands that you really have to worry about (ie. more than 2 outs) are As8x and Ks8x. Neither of these are particularily likely.
- You are likely behind, but have just picked up outs. You have 2 against a full, 10 vs three twos, 4 against a made flush higher than a J, and 11 against flush lower than you.

Betting here by no means assures you that you will not be checkraised OR bet into on the river. A check here means you can showdown for 1 BB (unless, of course a J hits). It is likely you are the one who wants the free card, and even if you are ahead it is unlikely that the free card you give costs you the pot, so take it.