Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were the two players colluding?
Yes 9 15.25%
No 31 52.54%
How should I know? 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Stealing (Poll)

The situation:

You are midway through a tournament with blinds at 200/400 and the average stack is 10,000. You have 10,000. No huge or small stacks at your table. There are also no hugely aggressive players at your table, and most steal attempts are folded down to. You have a solid table image. Nothing special about the current BB or SB.

Its folded to you in MP. You steal with:
Old 09-29-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Stealing (Poll)

Of course, this is a wierd loaded question--how did my table image ever become so good if I'm stealing with what I'm stealing with here? Or did I just wait a long time to start stealing with Ax/2Paint from MP? Like, until right now?
Also, my tables haven't broken much? And this is a live tourney, or a high stakes online where people are paying attention to this stuff at the midpoint of a tourney?

Eh...
Old 09-29-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Eek....attack of the double post. (n/m).

n/m
Old 09-29-2004, 06:27 PM

Open/raising from MP with a mid pair is not a steal - that's a value bet.

Common wisdom says only to attempt steals with true rags - you don't want to face a re-raise with a halfway decent hand and either be sucked in or have to fold a hand that you would have liked to see the flop with.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Common wisdom says only to attempt steals with true rags - you don't want to face a re-raise with a halfway decent hand and either be sucked in or have to fold a hand that you would have liked to see the flop with.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to raise with small PP here, but doesn't it qualify as a "halfway decent" hand like you said? You would hate to face a reraise with it...

I don't completely understand this concept of not raising if you hate a reraise... If you're on the button and you raise with AJ, AQ, or 88 it would not be fun to be reraised. But you can't just call, right?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 PM

With everyone having around 22 Big bets I think you should be trying to limp in not steal. If the game is so aggressive this is not possible I think you should tighten right up.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Common wisdom makes no sense. If it is correct to fold your halfway decent hand to a reraise, then fold it. Refusing to steal because you might not have the discipline to fold later is a psychological issue, not a poker one. And if you get flat called and have to play, you'd rather have good cards than 72o.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:23 AM

Good post.

I'd rather have two paint than Ax or low-PP, because if I'm called I'm likely to want to bet out at any flop, and with two paint i've either caught TPGK and am happy or i missed and i know i can fold with clean conscience if played with. With low PP, I don't get a set but have overcards alot, so if i'm played with its not as clear what to do. same thing with Ax -- i could have best hand but don't know.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's some of both, but you make a good point. This definitely shouldn't be considered a pure steal, but it's still a hand you'd rather not see a flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is quite what CW is saying these days. If you're raising, you should know whether you're going to fold or call if someone puts you all-in. There are groups of hands that make this decision much easier, and you're going to do a fair amount of your stealing with them, but you still have to do _something_ with 99. I see the medium-hands as ones to steal with that'll have some decent value postflop.

regards,
--Ethan

(edit - in the poll, I chose any two paint and mid-low pairs. gergery does a good job of explaining why 2-paint is good, and with the pairs it's often not _too_ hard to figure out where I stand.)
Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 AM

I don't think 'any 2 cards' is the right answer, but with something even as weak as 98o its got to be tempting to try and steal at least occasionally, IF you think people are folding too much.. no?

What I mean is, you want to try to steal X% of the time, and statistically the way to do that is, choose your best X% of hands.

All you need to estimate is, what is X? It could be quite high, depending.