Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: playing poker to win money

[ QUOTE ]
i think something that definitely helped was being a winning player for a long time, and having a large bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key. If you can lose two buyins and not even notice, it makes a huge difference. What's $200 when you've got $5000 in your account? I think most average to decent players at low stakes lose mostly to tilt, and bankroll is the best way to counter this imo.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think something that definitely helped was being a winning player for a long time, and having a large bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key. If you can lose two buyins and not even notice, it makes a huge difference. What's $200 when you've got $5000 in your account? I think most average to decent players at low stakes lose mostly to tilt, and bankroll is the best way to counter this imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a flip side to it, too. Sometime people play poorly when they're overbankrolled because the stakes are too small to be meaningful for them. You've got to find a happy medium where you aren't playing scared but aren't playing carelessly either.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a flip side to it, too. Sometime people play poorly when they're overbankrolled because the stakes are too small to be meaningful for them. You've got to find a happy medium where you aren't playing scared but aren't playing carelessly either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. People here recommend 20 buy-ins, but I personally need more or else it effects me too much when I get stacked. And I play at limits that matter to me. Each person has to find his/her comfort zone.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voltron:

If you can seriously live this way and play poker with this attitude, you have reached a pretty "zen" state of mind in life, not just poker. Well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker has taught me a lot. im a vastly more mature and knowledgable person for having learnt to play it right.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 PM

These are the posts that keep me playing. I get so far into Tilt somtimes that it lasts days and I hate myself for being so damn stupid in elementary situations. Somtimes I get so down on myself i think,"Well maybe I am just not cut out for poker" But i can't give up so easily. I need this competition and this one thing I can constantly strive to be great at. And when I get so damn irritated, posts like this help me to calm down take a step back and re-approach the game. TY
Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are the posts that keep me playing. I get so far into Tilt somtimes that it lasts days and I hate myself for being so damn stupid in elementary situations. Somtimes I get so down on myself i think,"Well maybe I am just not cut out for poker" But i can't give up so easily. I need this competition and this one thing I can constantly strive to be great at. And when I get so damn irritated, posts like this help me to calm down take a step back and re-approach the game. TY

[/ QUOTE ]

it took me a long time to get to this point. ive made a ton of mistakes my poker career as well. ive been bust a bunch of times, though not recently.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep a huge bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When you have sth like 50xbuyin you can actually think about the game not about swings. When I switched from "move up quickly" mode when I moved up having 15xbuying (shortstack first) to "move up safely" mode my game improved a ton. I am still "tilting" (mainly because I am bored) from time to time and still making some stupid mistakes but I never get mad about swings , never think sth like : "oh, so much money, 2k pot and he sucked out to his 2outer.. oh 2k... I could buy so many cool things with that". I couldnt imagine playing with "safe" 20xbuyin bankroll... I feel I wouldnt be able to make correct decisions in pots cointaing like 15% of whole bankroll. And I wouldnt be able to play correctly after losing such a pot.

[ QUOTE ]
(biggest one imho)= DONT COMPLAIN. thats life, thats poker, etc. that is the nature of the game, its a gambling game. you really think this is an simple game to play and win at? dont expect it to be easy. dont expect money handed to you on a silver platter. deal with it, everyone winning player before you gets bad beats and has people disconnect against them, you think they just whined about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh I agree you described it well. My first "bad beat" post will be my last here.

Best wishes