Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Harrington On Picking Up Chicks

Just picked up “Harrington on Picking Up Chicks Volume 1: Pick-up Lines” today. I spent most of the day with it and overall feel it’s a good read. It’s divided into seven different sections of practical theory for meeting women followed by a series of sample problems. What Mr. Harrington stresses is you have to consider may factors before you even attempt to pick up a chick, such as the cost of that drink you’re buying her, whether she came to the bar with a guy or not, STD potential and her overall hotness. Here’s an excerpt:

“At the beginning of the night a stunning 5’8” blonde with a short skirt walks into the club with a few friends. You initially don’t see whether she’s well-endowed or not. Three guys in backwards baseball caps pass her by, but don’t say anything, and it’s your turn to act. She’s right next to you. You look down at a big pair. What do you do?”

Although he’s known as a conservative playa, Harrington thinks this situation is “too good to pass up.” He advises the reader to go with something traditional, like “do you come here often?” or “don’t I know you from somewhere?” When it comes time to buy her a drink, you have to vary what you offer to get her at random, to keep the ladies from getting a read on your pick-up style. He suggests ordering her a Long Island Iced Tea approximately 80 percent of the time and going with a margarita 20 percent of the time.

Mr. Harrington suggests only going after the best-looking women in your league early in the night, but loosening up your standards a little bit as the night wears on and the prospect of spending another Saturday night sleeping alone starts to sober you up, in spite of yourself. Sometimes the great ones will even make a stand with any woman if the Semisonic song “Closing Time” has started playing and they are extremely short on prospects.

I think HOPUC is a pretty good book for beginners. It delineates the thought process that the great playas go through when hitting on a fine piece of a**, but Mr. Harrington doesn’t delve into the more complicated moves the greats use later on in the evening. I’m really looking forward to “Volume II: The Bedgame” which I will pick up as soon as it hits stores.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Harrington On Picking Up Chicks

Let me guess - the "inflection point" is when the bar's about to close and you need to progressively lower your standards in order to maximize your chances of going home with a win?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:30 AM

i thought this was pretty good
Old 06-29-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and it’s your turn to act. She’s right next to you. You look down at a big pair. What do you do?”

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. And hope she has something she can reraise you with.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:53 AM

very nice.

I think someone should link to the BisonBison classic "Hold-em for Handsome Players".
This is the ORIGINAL 2+2 book parody and is pretty damn hilarious and I'm sure many here haven't seen it.

But this HOPUC ain't too shabby.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:09 AM

Hi Dan,

[ QUOTE ]
She’s right next to you. You look down at a big pair. What do you do?”

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic. I'm gonna say it's time for the "Dark Tunnel Bluff", in which you offer to show her around the nearest dark tunnel.

Note: this advice is for playas only, and is not to be used by serial killers.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 AM

Hold'em Poker for Handsome Players
Old 06-29-2005, 07:30 AM

I already look forward to vol 2 Endplay
Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 AM

You also have to consider whether she is making a move against you or is playing her normal tigth game.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:42 AM

I found the chapter about dealing with different styles interesting too.

"Against a conservative female, theres surprisingly little you can do. Conservative females are taking good guys and if you dont have much, just get out of her way. When they move in, you really need something to play with them."

"When you see a super-agressive female, dont just stand there; come over the top with something big. This takes courage, but if youve assesed her correctly, youll win her rigth away a substantial amount of the time. Once in a while, of course they will already have a boyfriend and youll be in big trouble. But you dont really have a choice"