Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Default $50 PP NL Hand - Bad Beat or Misplayed?

Hi everyone, this is my first thread here at 2+2. I was wondering if I was correct to slowplay the following hand. Specifically, should I have bet the turn (There were 2 clubs)? I really felt I should check because the pot was not too big, and it seemed like I needed to let someone catch a second best hand to get any more money out of this hand. Also, was the raise on the river incorrect? I figured he was just making a small be to try to pick up the pot since it was checked around twice. But in retrospect, I probably should have called considering a raise really wouldn't get me more money (He'd only call it if he had me beat). Thanks for any help in advance.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero ($131.95)</font>
SB ($95)
BB ($49)
UTG ($51.75)
UTG+1 ($47.50)
UTG+2 ($48)
MP1 ($69.10)
<font color="C00000">MP2 ($21.02)</font>
MP3 ($201.57)
CO ($65.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $4, MP2 calls $4.

Flop: ($16.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($16.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($16.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $16.02 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $1.02.

Final Pot: $48.54
<font color="green">Main Pot: $48.54, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 ($48.54).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 has Tc 8c (straight, jack high).
Hero has Ah Ac (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: MP2 wins $48.54. </font>
Old 10-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: $50 PP NL Hand - Bad Beat or Misplayed?

You absolutely have to bet the flop, and if you really think you won't get any action betting the turn is mandatory. You don't want people redrawing and beating you, don't play sets this slow, it will always backfire.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:33 PM

absolutely misplayed.....if you're checkin the flop you at least have to bet the pot on the turn i believe in this situation...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:49 PM

I'd raise a bit more on the flop

-Slow playing the flop isn't the worst idea, but it might get you into trouble (what if an opponent has KQ or QT)

-You must bet the turn. Now that a flush draw and a straight draw are out you have to charge people to draw for it. You very well could get action from a singe pair if that player puts you on a steal attempt
Old 10-11-2004, 05:24 PM

I would've bet the flop and definitely the turn. Slowplaying the flop isn't horrible, but slowplaying the turn is. If you're going to try and pull people along - make a weak bet at the flop (you might even catch someone with an A thinking you have KK or QQ, and raising you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 10-11-2004, 10:46 PM

As Brunson says, you gotta bet those trip As with that J out there, you can't give infinite odds for broadway. So what if you win it right there, trip As is hard to win money with anyway unless you're up a big draw, and checking is the worst thing to do against one of those.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:59 PM

misplayed. Bet the turn if not the flop...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 AM

Definitely misplayed. You shouldnt expect one pair to hold up when you allow your opponents two free cards. Youre giving them infinite odds. As Doyle Brunson writes: "when flopping a set of aces, bet out big, to prevent someone from drawing cheaply to an inside straight." Plus, if you bet out on the flop, you can make money off the possibility of the case Ace or even a pair of jacks. If you do not bet the flop, there is NO way with a club draw and a straight draw out there, that you should be checking on the turn. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:07 AM

Slowplaying trips is very dangerous when you're playing more than one opponent. It also seems fishy that you checked the flop after you raised preflop. You're in position and you should be betting, which is also expected because you raised preflop.