Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Do I need to pay this off??

[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't bet out on the flop because? You needed to narrow the field and gain info on the flop. Bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your advice is, having raised, to auto-bet every single flop regardless of the cards? If not, can you give me an example of a flop that's worse for continuation betting?

Checking this flop is a smart use of position.

[ QUOTE ]
If the villian has any piece of the board he's not folding the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true it's a good reason to value bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you probably beat, yes. Are you guaranteed beat? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a lot more markings on that scale.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian could have Ax smaller than you or ?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are four Ax smaller than you that aren't two pair, and two of those make top pair plus OESDs that are much more likely to raise the turn than the river. This raise is quite simply a better hand or a bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
I really think a better line is to check call the river, especially against an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think check/calling this river is terrible, but I think bet/folding is better.

Check/calling makes its money from busted draws that bluff and brave pairs.

Bet/folding makes its money from scared pairs. At these stakes, I think there are more pairs that happily take a free showdown then there are pairs that make a tough value bet on a scary board or missed draws that bluff.

/mc
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't bet out on the flop because? You needed to narrow the field and gain info on the flop. Bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your advice is, having raised, to auto-bet every single flop regardless of the cards? If not, can you give me an example of a flop that's worse for continuation betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but I really think checking this flop is a major mistake. Shows weakness, allows the others to catch up, just not a good play.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give us an example of a flop where you would check behind, or sometimes check behind?

/mc
Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give us an example of a flop where you would check behind, or sometimes check behind?

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

KKx, QQx, KQx, TJJ, etc.. Not many. Normally I'm making a continuation bet. As would most players in a shorthanded small stakes game. If you don't understand this concept I suggest you read any one of the myriad poker books & articles that are available to you.

With this board if someone hit the flush or staright and is looking to c/r I want to know it with one sb. I'm sorry but I don't give free cards to 3 other players on the flop with a board like this one. And neither should you.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents. Why on earth are you giving a free card to 3 other players with a board like that? Do you want someone to hit their outs? You need information and you need to narrow the field. One sb does that for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have enough info already. You need to improve to win. If you bet, chances are you'll get raised and have to fold. Might as well save your sb.

Another poster mentioned that he couldn't see the river raiser having a 7 there very often. I disagree. He could have had a 7 and was either looking to CR the flop or peel due to all the draws and re-evaluate on the turn. On the turn, he was probably rightfully scared of the Ace and he wisely went for the cr after river trips.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but I really think checking this flop is a major mistake. Shows weakness, allows the others to catch up, just not a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking this flop is 100% correct.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking this flop is 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong. It is 100% incorrect and a pretty good reasonn why I regularly take your money.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really couldn't pick a worse flop to auto-bet, given the amount of opponents.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Actually you couldn't pick a better flop to auto bet given the board and opponents. Why on earth are you giving a free card to 3 other players with a board like that? Do you want someone to hit their outs? You need information and you need to narrow the field. One sb does that for you.

I haven't been on 2+2 in a while and I'm actually taken aback at the responses.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think a better line is to check call the river, especially against an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

He acts 2nd.
Closed Thread