Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Default AA in live 2/5 NL game

Playing in 9-handed live 2/5 NL game.

Thhis hand came up and I want to hear about how I played it. Feel free to flame. Table image is TAG, but lucky. I previously made a couple of hands on the river in small pots and got my big river bets paid off. I am big stack at the table by about only the villian is anywhere near me. Read on villian is that he is a little loose pre-flop, but solid after that. Villian wins most hands by betting aggressively. He has shown down relatively few. Some of the hands that he has shown have been hands that he never should have called the pre-flop bet with. Here's the hand

UTG+1 (villian) limps (~$1,300)
MP1 limps ((~$250)
MP2 limps (~$200)
MP3 raise to $68 (all-in)
Button (Hero) calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (~$1,700)

Folds to villian who calls. All others fold.

3 take the flop, one all-in.

Flop: J,7,2 rainbow.

Villian: Check.
Hero: Bet $75.
Villian: Raise to $250.
Hero: Raise to $1,000.
Villian: All-in for ~$300 more.
Hero: Call.

Please comment on my play. I will give results later.

Thanks,
Vince
Old 08-01-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: AA in live 2/5 NL game

Why not re-raise preflop?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 PM

hero wants to play a big pot, a reraise here gives away his hand and he gets no action... i like this line alot i just hope you did'nt run into a set
Old 08-01-2005, 05:23 PM

Smooth calling on the button looks fine to me.

Why did you reraise his checkraise on the flop? I think that was a big mistake. There are no draws and you have position - use it.

I would call there (since you described him as a bit loose). At that point you have to proceed with caution. If he bets the pot on the turn, I fold (unless an A hit of course).

By the time he reraise all-in, calling that last $300 is a must. It is a "crying call" for sure though.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

i love it. don't listen to these weak tight set mining pansies. the board is perfect. his range that he will felt it with you with is AJ/QQ/KK/AA/JJ/77/22. The first four are obviously the most likely. Well played.

If you play preflop for deception sometimes you have to be ok getting it all in with just one pair and deep stacks. Also depends a lot on physical reads that live play provides so nicely.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

I raised because he is a little loose pre-flop my read is on him, given that board is AJ or KJ. I raise thinking I would like to take down the money in the pot right now before another Jack falls. I have seen him fold to a raise after the flop before.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love it. don't listen to these weak tight set mining pansies.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you did make me laugh.

[ QUOTE ]

the board is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no draws. So what is he checkraising with?

[ QUOTE ]

his range that he will felt it with you with is AJ/QQ/KK/AA/JJ/77/22. The first four are obviously the most likely. Well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think villain puts hero on? Hero cold called on the button for 14BB. He is checkraising hero. He does not have AJ. Probably he can beat 1 pair. The OP said the villain is loose preflop, but can play well postflop.

[ QUOTE ]

If you play preflop for deception sometimes you have to be ok getting it all in with just one pair and deep stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, you always gotta broke with an overpair. Because cold calling $68 in a 2-5 game is just SO deceptive - villain could literally put you on anything. Get a clue. You are giving horrible advice.

[ QUOTE ]

Also depends a lot on physical reads that live play provides so nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - play the player, not the cards.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised because he is a little loose pre-flop my read is on him, given that board is AJ or KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you said he played OK post flop. If he checkraises you with those hands, he does not play well post flop. Remember, he saw you cold call $68 preflop. What range of hands do you think he puts you on? When you reraise him, now he practically can't make a mistake. He knows you have an overpair. The reraise of the checkraise is awful.

[ QUOTE ]

I raise thinking I would like to take down the money in the pot right now before another Jack falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to panic. You have position and he can't have that many outs if he is behind.

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen him fold to a raise after the flop before.

[/ QUOTE ]

After he checkraised? That is an important distinction.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM

first you should have reraised preflop. second, you should have either folded after he checkraised, or reraised minimun to get information. if he goes all in after your re-raise, your hand is definately beat.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM

[quoteGet a clue. You are giving horrible advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry the thing is i just started playing last week. maybe i should stop posting in this forum.

the thing is in my week of experience i have played some b&m and i've seen aces be up against qq or kk in this situation many times.

also in my week of play i dont think ive ever seen someone check raise a set on a rainbow board. i guess it could be bottom two, that would be check raised, so let's add 27 into the range of hands, shall we? but even if it is the likely 27 we have outs.

sorry for not being a poker genius like you but i don't hit enough sets to make poker fun by just waiting for them. ill try harder to be better in week number 2 though.