Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Sklansky confuses me.

Just finished Getting the Best of It and on page 298, part 6: General Gambling Concepts, What the Pros Know, Sklansky states,"No-limit hold'em pros know not only whether to bet, but how much to bet. This alone could be the subject of a whole book." Well which book is it and where can I find it?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Sklansky confuses me.

It's also impossible to write a book on.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 AM

Sklansky and Miller are working on a book called, "Principles of No-Limit Hold'em".

I anticipate this will be one of the best 2+2 books ever written. I'm really looking forward to it's completion and release.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:56 AM

I just bought Bob Ciaffone's book, "Pot Limit and No Limit Poker." I just started reading it and it seems pretty good. Maybe someone who's finished it could provide some feedback.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:17 AM

There's not a lot on this out there, and it's a critical component of NL play. It's a very complex area, and I look forward to getting Sklansky's views. Most of the stuff out there now has you betting too big in a lot of cases in fact. And this is something the top pros do as well, although I'm seeing some players milking their hands more than I used to.

What we want to do here is to look at how to get the most out of the hand over time. Like in limit, we want people to call us generally when we have the advantage. Of course, we want them to pay for the privilege, and we can do that more here. We don't want to scare people out of pots too much though, when they perhaps would have called something smaller which would have given us a +EV for them to do so.

This also introduces the element of reading and knowing your opponents to a higher degree than fixed games. This is one of the reasons why NL is a more interesting game, IMO.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 AM

"Sklansky states: No-limit hold'em pros know not only whether to bet, but how much to bet. This alone could be the subject of a whole book. Well which book is it and where can I find it?"

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky and Miller are working on a book called, "Principles of No-Limit Hold'em".

I anticipate this will be one of the best 2+2 books ever written. I'm really looking forward to it's completion and release.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, this book will cover that topic. All I can say is part of the answer depends (there's that word again...) on the players in the hand with you.

Each player has ertainbetting patterns, in terms of both amounts and how they bet (bet, call, raise, c/r, etc). So, part of the answer is based on being observant at the table and getting into the mind of each of your opponents.

That's one of the reasons NL is more fun for me than the more mechanical betting aspect of Limit Hold Em.