Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Bad night at Pokerstars

to be uncomfortable with JJ, requires really small beitsim.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 AM

I side with Ark on pokerstars, I left the site completely 9 months ago....

Here's two to join that a buddy claims are full of fish:

Royal Vegas & Platinum Poker Club

I hear from others Pacific has the absolute WORST players on the planet...

RUN!!!! do not crawl!! RUN to those 3...

>TW<

PS. I am one of the sharks playing LL on Paradise... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 AM

You flop a set of Aces, but... [ QUOTE ]
A few players were coming in with AK and AQ without a raise to trap others, the betting was relentless and pots were reaching $100+ every other hand. I had just had pocket queens cracked and 3 queens beaten before that.

[/ QUOTE ]With this mental state, it is obvious (to us, and likely the other players at you're table) that you are in over your head, bankroll, or common sense. Get out of the game the next time you find yourself thinking like this with a set of A's -- and if that is normal thinking, then just get out of the game, period.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:22 AM

The worst night I've ever had at Pokerstars, I lost $70
You lost me there. You will have much worse nites to come, I promise.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap--I just noticed this:

The worst night I've ever had at Pokerstars, I lost $70 from my $140 buy-in.

Is this your entire bankroll?

No I have $917 but I can't play any lower anyway. I need FPPs to clear a bonus and 2/4 is the only realistic limit at Pokerstars to earn any FPPs.

I've been playing there the last 6 months 1 or 2 nights a week at the weekends, in about 40 sessions I've lost maybe 15 sessions or so but on this night I felt for the first time there was absolutely nothing I could do to change things. The cards were going to come in a pre-defined sequence and I was just there for the journey, totally helpless. Of course I should of stopped playing an hour earlier, I was actually up at one point so the fall was a bit bigger than $70 although that's what I lost on the night.

Thanks for the heads up on posting hands, I'll only post 1 at a time and put it through the convertor next time.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the heads up on posting hands, I'll only post 1 at a time and put it through the convertor next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that's not the only thing you learned from this thread.
Reread the responses. They may seem mean, but it's tough love, they're trying to help you.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 PM

Nais is so right in his play and you guys are so dead wrong it's not even funny.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cards were going to come in a pre-defined sequence and I was just there for the journey, totally helpless. Of course I should of stopped playing an hour earlier, I was actually up at one point so the fall was a bit bigger than $70 although that's what I lost on the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to be hard for you to hear, but you have BPS. Patients with Blackjack Players' Syndrome suffer from impaired vision, and cannot see either positive or negative expected value. BPS can also cause delusions of persecution, leaving the patient bewildered, mistaking random series of events for the malevolent designs of some unknown entity, expressly intended to destroy him. The patient begins to believe that nothing he does can affect those around him, and so lapses into passive inactivity. Ironically, this passivity is coupled with delusions of grandeur, causing the patient to believe that he does not in fact have a problem, that he knows everything already and cannot be taught, and that he is strong while others are weak. These competing delusions actually feed into each other, as the BPS patient convinces himself that his worsening condition is not because of his own conduct, which is flawless, but because of the mounting wave of persecution against him, and the incompetence of those around him.

Luckily, there is a cure for Blackjack Players' Syndrome. Alas, by the time most victims hear of the cure, it is too late. Don't be another statistic.

Together, we can fight this.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have said, go with one hand at a time. You will find the advice you receive to be more plentiful and useful this way.

Hand 1 - JJ is a big hand. You should raise preflop if the pot is unraised. Your purpose is not to drive people out. Your purpose is collect bets from crappy hands (like Q8o) that are way behind you right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very likely people will play Q8o, more likely A8s and KQo covering all the overcards which will come the majority of the time so paying 4 bets with JJ is a very high variance play with no guarantee you won't just win the small blind when it comes your turn to win with the hand in the next session.
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 - Some here would disagree, but unless this table was very loose and very passive, I'd consider folding QTs from EP. If very pots were being raised preflop, then the limp is fine. Not a bad board for slowplaying, but I find that most 2/4 players don't believe that a flop bettor has trips on that kind of board, so they will often call or raise, which is great. There is almost no good place to get away from top trips (and never when your sole opponent has only 4 big bets left). Tough luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, I've never played QTs from UTG/Early before until I read SSH. The starting hands in SSH seem to go against what DS&MM advise in HFAP, perhaps 3-5 players make it OK to play loose and HFAP is only for HU poker but there seems to be specific seperate sections for HU play in HFAP.
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3 - looks fine. This is just a bad beat. Posting these only serves to agitate the people you want to help you.

Hand 4 - I know you said that you'd taken a couple of beats prior to this hand, but you've got top set here. Assuming that your opponent has the nuts everytime you have a good hand will lose you a lot of money over the long haul. Ram and jam and ram and jam and ...Raise the turn and cap if opponent 3-bets. If he still bets the river, you can just call, although many here would suggest putting in one more raise. If he only calls the turn raise then bet if checked to on the river and put in one raise if he bets into you again (unless the 4th broadway card hit the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I should have capped both the turn and river here, the times my oppoenent has KQ is probably offset by the times I redraw to a full house. 15 seconds isn't much time to think about what's going on, there's probably a reason why online sites have such short time limits. [ QUOTE ]

Hand 5 - You should not have let it go at any point. First of all, raise preflop. You probably have the best hand at this point and you are suited so build a big pot. You also wouldn't mind having your opponents check to the raiser if you miss the flop.
Cap the flop. You have no reason to think you're behind - I'd put your opponent on a weak Ace here. If he bets into you again on the turn, you can just call it down. Your opponent happened to have you dominated and flopped two pair to boot. Tough luck, but there is no good place to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]