Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Level 3 and finish distribution.

This reminds me of the PVS post that was pointed out to me the other day.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Level 3 and finish distribution.

Yeah, but I think you can be even more aggressive. PVS says, and I quote:

[ QUOTE ]
If I have an average stack of 800, I don't do much in level 3. The blinds aren't worth stealing, and you don't have a enough chips to really play a hand to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that if I have an average stack of 800, that's exactly when I'm starting to look for good stealing/bluffing spots. I don't need to look for those if I got my stack to over 1000 chips when level 3 comes, and if my stack is under 700, I'm basically in push/fold mode.

With ~800 chips, my ideal situation is to have position over just one opponent, see a flop and try to keep the pot small to see the turn. If you get to the turn or even to the river without a huge pot, the low-limit players are dumb enough for you to know when to get out of the hand and when the pot is there for you to steal.

If my steal fails, I'm left w/ ~500 chips, and I'm more than comfortable playing with that in level 4. It's not a very pretty situation, but it's not the end of the world either. I'd rather take that shot at level 3 that usually gives me enough chips to sail through level 4 without a hand than to get in level 4 w/ an average stack without having taken any risks.

Not only that, I'm playing way more aggressively pre-flop. I've been raising w/ AQ from any position if it's 7-handed or less, I've been treating JJ as if it were QQ. In many spots I'm re-raising all-in w/ AK too.

Again, my sample size is still too small, but I really feel this is it.