Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Default $12+1 K5 hand, river top two

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t1230)
BB (t1180)
UTG (t3590)
MP (t2110)
Button (t890)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t20, Button calls t20, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t40</font>, MP calls t20, Button calls t20, Hero calls t20.

i am usually wary of the PF double so my initial read was total fish or AA, and i figured i had to call with the implied odds..

Flop: (t160) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t40</font>, MP folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, BB calls t60.

i check raised try to get some more info and after the call i figured i was going to try and see a cheap showdown (was really confused as to what to do here)

Turn: (t360) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, BB calls t100.

loved the turn card as it gave me lots more outs if he had AK or AA, and after his cold call im thinking its more likely he has a pocket pair, rather than a monster.

River: (t560) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t390</font>

i fired huge on the river when my money two pair card hit, and right after i clicked "bet" i realized any ace would have me smoked (would any of you guys have bet the river anyways, if you weren't 'board ignorer donks' like i was?)

Final Pot: t950
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: $12+1 K5 hand, river top two

I wouldn't ever be 'board ignorer donks' whatever that is.. I wouldn't check-raise the flop with a 5 kicker either.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:42 PM

In fact I really just don't like how you played the hand at all, you didn't control the size of the pot and you risked too much with top pair 5 kicker
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Wouldn't leading out on the flop with a bet of 60 or 80 have accomplished the exact same thing as your check raise at a lower price if you're behind? This seems like a bad place to check-raise...but I have to admit I almost never use the check-raise...the only time I can think of is if there's someone who almost always does a continuation bet if the flop is checked to them. If any more experienced players can give me some idea when else a check raise is useful (and why) I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:49 PM

Your play was donktastic on pretty much every street
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't leading out on the flop with a bet of 60 or 80 have accomplished the exact same thing as your check raise at a lower price if you're behind? This seems like a bad place to check-raise...but I have to admit I almost never use the check-raise...the only time I can think of is if there's someone who almost always does a continuation bet if the flop is checked to them. If any more experienced players can give me some idea when else a check raise is useful (and why) I'd really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have two pair, or a strong draw and can get all-in. There are other times, for instance if you read your opponent for a whiffed cont bet with AK or what have you. But all in all.. quite rarely.