Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Final Table button play

Down to 6 players. Typical blind steals and somewhat weak plays being made. You have 54K chips on button (above average) with QQ. Folded to you, blinds 1K 2K. You raise to 6K and chip leader in BB (78K) calls. Flop is 10 7 10 no flush draws. BB checks and you bet 10K ... BB check raises minimum. What do you do and why? What range of hands do you put villian on?

thankx
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Final Table button play

OK ... well, heres what I was thinking. The minimum check raise kinda screams a strong hand. Maybe he spiked a miracle set ... But he could also put me on pushing high cards and is trying to make a play on me. I can see medium pocket pairs legitimately thinking they have the best hand, although I think more than a minimum raise is in order.

I raise all in with my QQ and he shows K 10 off for 3 tens. I guess the only hand I beat that I could put him on would be JJ. I could have folded and still had a decent stack. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM

I can see people doing this with any pocket pair, any seven, any ten. You do beat a lot of hands, push.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK ... well, heres what I was thinking. The minimum check raise kinda screams a strong hand. Maybe he spiked a miracle set ... But he could also put me on pushing high cards and is trying to make a play on me. I can see medium pocket pairs legitimately thinking they have the best hand, although I think more than a minimum raise is in order.

I raise all in with my QQ and he shows K 10 off for 3 tens. I guess the only hand I beat that I could put him on would be JJ. I could have folded and still had a decent stack. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here is super-weak without a read. Pushing is fine. Calling and pushing any turn is also fine. The problem with pushing is you probably only get called by a T. Waiting to the turn lets you get another bet from hands like a 6, pocket pairs and random bluffs. I don't really mind giving him a cheapish shot to hit a 2-4 outer.

Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

push. It sucks having to do battle with the chip leader, but this is not a horrible spot to do it. villain has Tx (possibly), more likely small/medium pocket pair or is simply defending his blinds with any 2. possible open end straight draw. you have already put 16k in the pot and have 38k behind, not exactly pot committed, but BB could be putting you on a missed hand such as AK or simply a blind steal. I may be being too reckless here with the push, but I'd rather end this right here rather than just call and push the turn. If he calls my push i'm only behind AA, KK, Tx, 77 or TT. I'm going broke in 6th place.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
push. It sucks having to do battle with the chip leader, but this is not a horrible spot to do it. villain has Tx (possibly), more likely small/medium pocket pair or is simply defending his blinds with any 2. possible open end straight draw. you have already put 16k in the pot and have 38k behind, not exactly pot committed, but BB could be putting you on a missed hand such as AK or simply a blind steal. I may be being too reckless here with the push, but I'd rather end this right here rather than just call and push the turn. If he calls my push i'm only behind AA, KK, Tx, 77 or TT. I'm going broke in 6th place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think he calls your push with any worse hands? Do you think he'll bet the turn with a worse hand if you just call?
If the answers are no and yes, then isn't call much better than push?

Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 04:43 PM

I think he calls with JJ or possibly A7. My reason for a pushing is much simpler than extracting maximum value. I don't mind a fold here (puts me in the chip lead) and more importantly eliminates any tough decisions on later streets. Range of hands is so much harder to predict when the hand starts out looking like a blind steal and blind defense.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:59 PM

i like the plan of calling and jamming any turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM

i don't see this as a bad move either, but are you calling a push, since BB is first to act? hate seeing an A or K hit the board on the turn and then having to call an allin. Probably a leak in my game not extracting maximum value since my intent is to have all the chips in the middle anyway, just hate giving that free card.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can see people doing this with any pocket pair, any seven, any ten. You do beat a lot of hands, push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's ahead of the range, why push the opponent out of the pot?

Regards,
Woodguy