Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Default defending my big blind vs a TAG

30/60, 6 handed

I just sat down (can't remember if this is my first or second orbit) but I have played against villain quite a bit. For you stats junkies, he's a 30/19 at short tables. He raises my blinds quite liberally, I have caught him stealing with 96o from the CO before (well, he caught me defending with K high as he outflopped me and I payed off).

He openraises from the CO and I defend in the big blind with K2o. Heads up to the flop

Flop is 992 with 2 diamonds, I have no diamonds. I checkraise, he 3-bets and I just call.

The turn brings the J of diamonds. I check, he bets. What should I do here? I think I know what I should have done but I'll let you guys prove me right (or wrong).

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: defending my big blind vs a TAG

I'd checkraise or maybe call and fold the river unimproved.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:58 PM

With bottom pair I'd call down here to a persistent stealer. I'd do it with Ace high, too.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd checkraise or maybe call and fold the river unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if I checkraise he should fold hands like AQ or even A3 which just picked up 3 more outs against me. Although he probably won't fold any diamonds and I doubt he folds anything that beats me, it is possible he folds something like 66 though. Just checkfolding this turn may have been alright too as its a pretty bad turn card for me.

Can you explain calling the turn and folding the river unimproved? That seems like it would be the worst plan to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain calling the turn and folding the river unimproved? That seems like it would be the worst plan to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts on this are they will often continue with thier bluff on the turn, but not the river.

I personally don't like defending with the hand that has potentially the biggest odds against another hand in poker.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unreasonable for him to think you will ever fold the river after calling the turn with only one draw once the draw hit. If he decided to 3bet the flop with trash and fire all streets, well he might win this pot, but of course I don't make this play that often and if I think he's capable of firing all three I will just check call it. Just have to know your player. It's ok if he doesn't fold a diamond on the turn, you want to charge him for it, since he will probably check behind on the river.

Also I would probably fold preflop, although call with k2 suited or k4-k5o