Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: 5/5 foxwoods shorthanded

This seems like it could easily be KQ or AK to me. A lot of weird/bad players overplay overcards on the flop, and get VERY excited when they hit them afterwards.

KK seems really unlikely to me given the flop action.

And.. I hate minraising.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
flop (200): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain bets 100, hero raises to 200

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ML4L
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A passive player from the straddle,

[/ QUOTE ]

????? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If action is folded to you in and you have a hand you want to play w/ vs the straddle, but definately not extra juiced pf, something like KTo which figures to be good vs straddler,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I'm talking about. you open limp vs a straddler with a hand like KTo and most people I know that straddle regularly (including me) are going to raise it up a large % of the time if it's limped to them. then we're playing a guessing game with the other guy firing on lots of flops where your hand might actually be best but you have to call several large bets to find out.

IMO giving control to the straddler pf (i.e. limping when they are probably going to raise) creates far more uncomfortable situations than it avoids.

I agree it can be a good play if you're trapping.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:08 PM

I hate your flop play. What is the point of min-raising? Presumably to "find out where I'm at" but it doesnt even do that for you because with bad and good alike they react to it the same way. That said, if this guy is as fishy as you describe, AK is not out of the question on the river. Make a read and go with it, although without being there I would be inclined to fold since he bet every street. AA would not be a surprise, but it would all depend on my read.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If action is folded to you in and you have a hand you want to play w/ vs the straddle, but definately not extra juiced pf, something like KTo which figures to be good vs straddler,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I'm talking about. you open limp vs a straddler with a hand like KTo and most people I know that straddle regularly (including me) are going to raise it up a large % of the time if it's limped to them. then we're playing a guessing game with the other guy firing on lots of flops where your hand might actually be best but you have to call several large bets to find out.

IMO giving control to the straddler pf (i.e. limping when they are probably going to raise) creates far more uncomfortable situations than it avoids.

I agree it can be a good play if you're trapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you know the straddler will be juicing the hand, why not let him with a good hand vs. a random hand since you have position? You put yourself in a position to take a lot of chips off the guy post flop, albeit in situations that will be high variance. You will need to get money in in some very marginal situations, but on average your hands that catch any piece of the flop will be better, and UTG will be auto betting most of the time, and continuing to drive bluff at least some of the time (or else he is exploitable in other ways) if you just call on the flop.

Personally I think it is more uncomfrotable to be taking the lead in a hand with nothing than playing in position against an over agro villain, which from what you are saying villain will likely be for the particular hand he straddles.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably call the flop, I don't see what the min-raise accomplishes.

I would raise to 1.2k on the turn ... make him commit (if he has a overpair as is bad he will dump it all here).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the minraise if he's shown that he'll fold after being challenged on a continuation bet. Minbets and raises are useful, esp if you are playing a more laggy style.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like it could easily be KQ or AK to me. A lot of weird/bad players overplay overcards on the flop, and get VERY excited when they hit them afterwards.

KK seems really unlikely to me given the flop action.

And.. I hate minraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how we can put him on AK or KQ, since he put in a third bet on the flop. If the guy was a total maniac or hyper-agg, I assume we'd have that info from duck.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
flop (200): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain bets 100, hero raises to 200

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]
Min raise is gross.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:26 PM

I can't figure out for the life of me what the min-raise on the flop is trying to accomplish.
The river I fold. I think that the only hands you beat right now are AA and AK. While AA is a realistic possibility given the flop action, people who overplay AK unimproved tend to do a lot of calling with it, not 3-betting.
That leaves a lot of very realistic straddle-raising hands that beat you such as (decreasing in probability based on your read) KK, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (or possibly any Ax of spades if he's bad), 99, 88, or TJ. Note that all of these hands make a lot more sense for him to be 3-betting the flop with than AK (the made hands moreso).

As for his fifteen seconds of thinking on the turn, I give it no consideration if I'm you-this could be a set or a straight or AK-it's hard to distinguish between serious consideration of a hand and acting trying to trap you.