Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Default The Multi-table Grind

Recently, I've been starting to play more and more tables of $5/$10 short on PP. The more tables I play, the more I realize that my money goes nowhere! I win a big pot at one table and I lose two small pots at another table. I make a few hundred, but then I get cleaned out at another table. Does anyone else experience this? Is this just part of the grind? It seems like the more tables I play, the slower I go up. Perhaps there's a hole in my game somewhere..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: The Multi-table Grind

Short term luck, long term certainty.

That is, if you're playing well.

- Jim
Old 10-27-2005, 10:50 PM

f(x)= C(1/x)
f(x)= the amount of cash you win/lose ($)
x = the amount of tabels
C = konstant, depends on how fast your brains works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] etc.

^ f($)
|\................
|..\...............
|....\.............
|.....\............
|......\...........
--------------> x (tabels)

I hope this solved your problems [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

Lol, wow that actually helps a lot.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
f(x)= C(1/x)
x = the amount of tabels
C = konstant, depends on how fast your brains works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] etc.

^ f($)
|\................
|..\...............
|....\.............
|.....\............
|......\...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with this function? It shows that if I'm very stupid and my constant C equals for instance -1 (or actually any negative number), I'll lose all my money without even playing.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
f(x)= C(1/x)
x = the amount of tabels

^ f($)
|\................
|..\...............
|....\.............
|.....\............
|......\...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with this function? It shows that if I'm very stupid and my constant C equals for instance -1 (or actually any negative number), I'll lose all my money without even playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, I forgot that 0 < C . I have study this problems as a Mechanical Engineer at Linköpings unversity. How stupid you are actually affects your profit. For exampel: If you are very slow minded your tabel will time out, and thats not profitble. The more tabels you have the more tabels will time out, and you are losing money, as my function shows [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I hope we can discuss this problem further!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM

I think multitabling kindof just controls variation in the short run (like one session of say 1k hands), more than four tabling or two tabling. I was four tabling 2/4 and was solidly beating it for 6k hands (doing ok for 15k before that but then got some mentorring and thought I had turned my game around). Then I tried six which quickly became eight tabling. As soon as I started doing more than four I've been on a 150BB down swing which to me seems a little harsh considering it's 2/4 and I think I am at least a 2BB/100 winning player. I don't know if they're related but it seems likely. Anyways...I don't know how much this contributed.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM

ROTFL! Nice one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think, though, that when x is sufficiently small, the function actually grows with x. I agree that as x tends to infinity, the function tends to negative infinity...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Keep in mind that the expected win vs. the amount of money you put in play is really miniscule. For instance, if you are a 2BB/100 player and, during a 500 hand session, you win a single big hand that profits you 10BB, your expectation for the other 499 hands is to break even.

A corollary to that statement is that short-term luck plays a huge factor in your win rate. The difference between winning 2BB/100 and breaking even in a 500 hand session is one hand where your AA held up in a 4-way pot vs it getting cracked by a moron making his set of 7s on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps there's a hole in my game somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting your game could be holeless? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 04:51 PM

[quote The difference between winning 2BB/100 and breaking even in a 500 hand session is one hand where your AA held up in a 4-way pot vs it getting cracked by a moron making his set of 7s on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

To expand on this.

Remember that if you play a 2000 hand session there will be many times that you take four river beats in huge pots, and these beats take a "really great session" into a "really shitty session".

Even after 10k hands there is an extrememly small sample of major hands, probably as low as 15-20, that can make someone run 2bb/100 player over that sample or -.05/100
over that sample.

This is why you can't really get a sense of how good you are until AT LEAST 50k hands, but more like 100k.