Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM

Default 6max AA hand play along

I'm just delving into the realm of 6-max play and this hand came up. Villain in this hand was possibly another 2+2er, based on both his stats (32/15/3) and some of the hands I saw him playing.

Absolute Poker 1/2 6-max (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises</font>, 1 fold, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, <font color="red">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, Hero...

What's your plans for this hand on all streets? Explain your reasoning as to your planned actions.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: 6max AA hand play along

Call now. You can choose between raising the turn and raising the river. I lean towards the river if BB is still in the hand at the turn.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call now. You can choose between raising the turn and raising the river. I lean towards the river if BB is still in the hand at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

your against a player that has capped from utg preflop and is now betting out again and you want to slowplay?

there is no guarantee BB will even see a turn here,

my plan is to cap every street with utg regardless of how the cards fall
Old 10-18-2005, 11:01 PM

I assume UTG has pocket kings or queens, though he might have AKsuited or pocket jacks.

I would call the flop bet in the hopes of at least getting one more bet out of BB, and of getting UTG to think, at least for a bit, that I don't have pocket aces.

Then on the turn and river, I raise every bet that comes to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Im going to war with UTG. Hope he has KK and doesnt stop raising.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 AM

raising this flop is poor - you're ahead 100% of the time here, and the others have 2 outs or less - you're giving up a lot of future bets by raising the flop

if you call this flop instead of raise the BB calls about 99% of the time

go nuts on the turn (or maybe the river), and hope BB spikes his K/Q on the turn
Old 10-19-2005, 04:28 AM

call the flop
I generally raise the turn
Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your against a player that has capped from utg preflop and is now betting out again and you want to slowplay?

there is no guarantee BB will even see a turn here,

my plan is to cap every street with utg regardless of how the cards fall

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB is dead money, you want to keep him in to pad the pot. Going to war on the flop is good. Going to war on the turn is better.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 AM

BB appears to be a fish, and I don't know what UTG's most likely hands are: he capped, so it's big aces and pairs, but I don't know how the two aces in your hand affects his probabilities, unfortunately. I think it makes him very much more likely to have a pair, but I still don't know if that makes it most likely for him to have a pair or big cards right now.

The fishy guy may be a little reluctant to drop a pair on the flop, and it's tough to tell what's in his hand, but if the action gets too heavy, he may just put one of you guys on quad sixes. We can't really count on this guy's contribution to the hand.

So we're trying to milk the UTG for the most money possible. My suggestion is that we raise the flop.

My plan is read-dependent. If this guy is a little cautious, then we call his reraise and then raise the turn. If he's a little on the crazier side, we cap the flop and then raise the turn.

At some point, UTG will slow down, and we should hammer hard until that point. I do not envision the river getting capped.

Without a read, I raise the flop, call a reraise, and raise the turn. This is much more profitable than if you accidentally scared this guy into check-calling the turn after you cap the flop.

Edit: To determine his likelihood of having a pair rather than overcards, here's what I did (UTG) in pokerstove:

Board: 6d 6h 6s 4c 3c
Dead: Ac Ad
Our hand: 5h5d
His hand: AA-TT, AKs-AQs, AKo

He's actually 71.429% likely to have a pair, once we have aces.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The BB is dead money, you want to keep him in to pad the pot. Going to war on the flop is good. Going to war on the turn is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan will get in something like: 3sb + 2bb = 7sb.
It might might might get the BB in there for this: 6sb + 2bb = 10sb.
**Both plans get another BB on the river.

This is a pretty good payoff... certainly not the worst thing that can happen, but I'll consider your plan if we're trying to maximize to see what happens.

I don't like the idea of hoping that the BB makes his pair of kings on the turn!!! I mean, what's going to happen... you just called his flop bet.

The king slides off, the bb bets, he calls, you raise, he puts you on AK, BB calls, he folds. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Or, if you're lucky, you get a lot of action from the BB.

Once a K hits, the only way that you get action from the UTG is if HE has KK...

What you're looking to do is have the following happen. fishy has T9, hits his 9 on the turn, he checks, utg bets, you raise, fishy calls, utg does whatever he's going to do, and you get some money from fishy and utg on the river, maybe more on the turn.

This, of course, assumes that BB doesn't already have a pair that he's going to show down for a decent number of bets anyways.

Also, I don't know what the effects will be on the UTG player if you wait to the turn. I mean, will he three-bet you with KK, whereas he would have slowed down had you been active on the flop?

I don't know, but that seems to be a major part of the analysis.

So, could someone please tell us what kinds of turn cards we're looking for in order to make this huge amount of action that would justify us just calling this flop?

I'm ignoring a huge thing here, though: there's something like a 25% chance that this guy has an ace and another card. In that case, he's probably going to call your flop bet and fold on the turn, but on the turn, if you call him here, he's not coming at you again unless he has AK, and even then he may check-call... but then again, you'd be getting more action if the BB had a little to show down and the UTG player had AK, if you start raising now.

I guess the point that I'm making is that if your opponent has a pair, he's going to come after you right away. But if your opponent has AK/Q, then he's only going to start coming after you on the turn if he hits his kicker: about 4 outs (one is the best one: the case ace).

So even if he has AK, you probably get more action by raising the flop.

Also, if you wait to the turn to raise on the K, he may slow down, but if you raise him on the flop, and he hits his K, he'll checkraise you and call down after you three-bet!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really think you have to raise here.

--Dave.