Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Should I play 6-max?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know that it's better to have tight players on your left so that you can raise them out of pots preflop, but in my experience I like having the thinking players on my right...seem to have better luck bluffing them out on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought you just posted it backwards by accident. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm sure it has a lot to do with your playing style whether you like the tags to your left or right, but I think winning the position war is enough of a reason to keep them to the left. Think of how many more times you get the button b/c they fold roughly 75% of their hands.
Not to mention I love to isolate the weak/passives pf. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Maybe, but you're also going to be facing a lot of raises preflop, forcing you to fold. I guess you can 3bet me and see if you can get me to fold, but you can very easily get yourself into an expensive, bad situation. BTW, it was good playing with you last night, even if neither of us apparently couldn't catch a thing AND endured some somewhat nasty suckouts at the hands of the other players.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Hi Deception5-

This is a really great thread. I just moved from 2/4 to 5/10 and seem to be doing alright. But I still have this fear at the back of my mind from the first week I jumped to 2/4, and had the brilliant idea of playing 2/4 6-max on Crypto. Yeah. Haven't tried shorthanded or crypto since, after losing $600 in a day. (That was a lot of money back then.) This thread inspires me to start again. Would it be foolish to start 6-max at .5/1 if I'm doing 10x that limit in full ring games?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but you're also going to be facing a lot of raises preflop, forcing you to fold. I guess you can 3bet me and see if you can get me to fold, but you can very easily get yourself into an expensive, bad situation. BTW, it was good playing with you last night, even if neither of us apparently couldn't catch a thing AND endured some somewhat nasty suckouts at the hands of the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh...I did catch pocket rockets which only cost me 7 BBs against a A4s flush [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I still need to check over that session and look over a few hands. I admit, I did purposely try to isolate you on a couple hands, but I did have a real hand on all of those occasions. Did you know that it was me during the game, or not until afterwards?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know that it's better to have tight players on your left so that you can raise them out of pots preflop, but in my experience I like having the thinking players on my right...seem to have better luck bluffing them out on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought you just posted it backwards by accident. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm sure it has a lot to do with your playing style whether you like the tags to your left or right, but I think winning the position war is enough of a reason to keep them to the left. Think of how many more times you get the button b/c they fold roughly 75% of their hands.
Not to mention I love to isolate the weak/passives pf. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was mostly referring to Wookie sitting down on my right last night towards the end of my session.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM

When I looked at your name, I thought it might have been you. I wasn't sure, though, until I saw your PM when I cracked open the forum mid game. When I was folding to you, I was folding bottom pair or worse. I knew there was a relatively higher probability that you were bluffing at me, but I still had to have a hand I could call with. I couldn't hit a flop to save my life a that table. Fortunately, I was doing quite well on my other tables. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM

I don't think it matters much what limit you play at. As long as you play seriously (even if the money doesn't matter to you) there's plenty to learn at every level.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:55 PM

This thread is now especially important to those thinking of switching to 6-max. Is it just me or did others notice that 1/2 6-max at Party has gotten juicier than ever. Must be that the tighties who are playing the skins with (unmentionable) are locked out.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM

I was about to reply 'yes' without reading the post, but then I read it. great post.

also, I agree about the 2-tabling. I 4-tabled all the way up through 3-6, and I 1-tabled when I started (5/10) 6max. got up to 3 tables, cut back to 1 when I moved up again. it's a good system I think, cause you're faced with a lot of new situations and 1-tabling with good reads gets you used to it. it only takes 2K-ish hands, and it's time well spent IMO.

in Nate Tha' Great's 'You Play Too Tight' post, he mentions one should be more willing to move up the limits than one should be to add tables, and I think it's true.

food for thought.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh...I did catch pocket rockets which only cost me 7 BBs against a A4s flush [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that on an Absolute 3-6 full ring game last night?