Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Win Rates per 100 hands..NL vs. Limit

Would appreciate some clarification from you all...When figuring your win rates at XBB/100 hands, is it the same for Limit Play vs. No-Limit games? As an example, in a $2-$4 Limit game you win $8.00 in a 100 hands, so you have 2BB/100...In a No-Limit $200 game where the blinds are $2-$4, is it calculated the same way...Seems for me, in my limited time playing, that the variance is so much greater in No-Limit, that I was'nt sure if you compare the the two games the same..

Appreciate your input...Thanks, Doc
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Win Rates per 100 hands..NL vs. Limit

NL is calculated in PTBB/100 which is double the BB. An excellent NL win rate is 7-9 times the big blind / 100.

According to the rocket scientists on here, nl has a lower variance. I'm not convinced, but it's possible. Limit can be a very cruel game. After you take a 200 bet swing at 5/10 you will not underestimate it's variance again.

Variance does not affect winrate, just stress levels.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:43 AM

SoCal: Thank you...Again, I have really just started playing(other than home games) and have tracked only about 5,000 hands....About 50-50 between NL and Limit...Starting out much better at No-Limit in total $$ won and was trying to get a feel of where to concentrate by tracking BB/100..I do plan on getting hooked up with Poker Tracker...Thx, Doc
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SoCal: Thank you...Again, I have really just started playing(other than home games) and have tracked only about 5,000 hands....About 50-50 between NL and Limit...Starting out much better at No-Limit in total $$ won and was trying to get a feel of where to concentrate by tracking BB/100..I do plan on getting hooked up with Poker Tracker...Thx, Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

One quick word of caution. I'd be carefull (as you said you are just starting out) about how much limit you play combined with NL. Some concepts that you will learn for NL may not apply for limit and vice versa. If you start confusing concepts, this can also increase your variance.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play both games, just be aware that they require different strategies.

Maybe you already know this, but as you said you are just starting out, I thought I'd just make sure as there is a fair bit to learn on both games.

PJS
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM

PJS: Appreciate your input on this...It is a good point well taken....Doc