Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Bet - fold to a raise?

I don't use the bet - fold to a raise line enough. Being aggressive and not being able to lay down = chip spewage. In this hand, it's hard for me to lay down trips with an opponent who could be on a flush draw, so I checked. Should I have bet and folded to a raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 06-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Bet - fold to a raise?

Without a read it is difficult to narrow villains hand range, but regardless I'm bet/calling this river close to 100% of the time (if I had a really, really good read, I might bet/fold). You have a monster, checking through is really weak.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:09 PM

I second mute, without a read I bet the river and call a raise here. Villian could easily have an 8 with a weak kicker, something like 89 or 78, or any number of garbage hands. I wouldn't like getting check-raised here, but there's much too great of a chance that he's doing it with some sort of 2 pair to fold the river getting 11:1.

The "Bet - fold to a raise" line, IMHO, is more useful when you got a much weaker hand like a medium PP with an overcard on board.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Thanks. Villain showed TT and I was reminded for the nth time why being a winning player at Party 2/4 only means that I'm average. It was a terrible play and I agree that the bet-fold to a raise line doesn't apply to this situation.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:19 PM

Bet folding is terribly weak. Especially against an unknown? You have trips, don't put 'em on a flush draw just like that, he could have two pair, bet/call for value.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Bet, call a raise.

You're not going to make a lot of money in this game if you keep checking through big hands just because there is the possibility of a bigger hand out there. 4 diamonds on the river, maybe I would consider checking it through, not three though.