Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Default JTo from the BB with a raiser

SB is only player on table I know and he is a pretty aggressive player, probably 20/12 and very aggressive on later streets, if hes playing he usually has control of the hand.

Been on the table less then 2 orbits. Half the hands have been blind only wins. Majority of the rest are 4-6BB pots.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls all-in (.50) ,SB calls.

River: (17 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

I am kinda curious as to the preflop and flop calls. I dont really like playing JTo to a raise becuase of flops like this one. On the flop I freeze up. Call/Raise/Fold?? Pots pretty big and seems like a raise would play best here, but I knowing SB will bet out turn again, I would like to wait until there to raise on a safe card (but then I asked myself how 'safe' cards are there). When UTG+1 reraised I noticed he had 3 BB left only and figured he was donking off his stack.

Turn and river speak for themselves.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: JTo from the BB with a raiser

IMO if you can't raise this flop against this Villain with this relative position, then you shouldn't call it preflop.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM

If SB is aggressive, he could be betting the flop with a flush draw, a medium PP, or a weaker jack, right? Given that he raised pre-flop, he could also be betting something like AK here. Meanwhile, the pot isn't tiny and your hand is vulnerable. Why wouldn't you raise here?

What is the merit of waiting for a safe turn card here? As a general rule, I like the idea of waiting for a safe card a lot better when I am last to act and don't have the opportunity to protect my hand now. Here you've got a great chance to protect your hand on the flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 AM

You must raise this flop. Against anyone. You probably have the best hand, and your opponents would be correct to draw to almost anything if you call. Make them make mistakes by calling 2.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 AM

I fold pre-flop. Given your play, gotta raise this flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:55 AM

Preflop is OK, but you have to raise the flop. This is a very vunerable hand, and you are likely to be ahead now given villains range.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 AM

I don't mind playing JTo when you're pretty much guaranteed 9:1 on your money.

Raise the flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:56 AM

THis hand is messy. Im not sure on this one. But I think I would fold this preflop.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm not folding this preflop. I'd raise the flop to protect my hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Yeah I thought the flop call was bad. As I said I frooze up, I got into FPS mode and over analyzed the hand, I started to think about what I would do if SB 3-bet, how many outs am I counting the BD flush, ohh whats happening at my other table, whats my daughter whining for now, etc..

I was correct about UTG+1 though, he was donking off his stack, unfortunately he was doing it with Q3 and he dragged off the huge pot. Next hand he dragged another huge pot with A2o when he caught his 4th spade on the river. Then the next hand, with his 86o, he caught his inside straight - on the river to go from a 5BB stack to 35BB stack in 3 hands. A few hands later he left the table and I will never see him again most likely [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And unfortunately the rest of my session went on similar to that hand.