Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 04:48 AM

Default Reverse Implied Odds and Folding the Best Hand

This isn't a specific hand sort of question, more of a theory question. I understand the topic of implied odds when you hold a drawing hand, and was wondering if there is anybody out there that can help me understand the importance of reverse implied odds (when others are drawing against you). For example, lets assume that your playing in a loose low-mid limit game with 6 or so players seeing every flop, usually for one bet. Your in the blind with something like 89o and see a free flop, that comes down 8-7-3 (or something like that). Given that in a game like this your hand has almost no chance of ending up in first place, is it ever correct to fold when you are in front after the flop simply because you are hardly ever going to be in front after the river. I know this probably seems like a stupid question, but its something that I've been thinking about lately, and just wanted some input.

Thanks,

lil feller
Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Reverse Implied Odds and Folding the Best Hand

[ QUOTE ]
is it ever correct to fold when you are in front after the flop simply because you are hardly ever going to be in front after the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. infact, you should bet out if the sb checks
Old 06-17-2004, 09:39 AM

Situations of reverse implied odds occur when you have a hand that may or may not be best, but if it's not best you have little or no chance of sucking out, and your opponents are not likely to back off if they have you beat, but not likely to pay you off if they don't.

Say you have QsQc and the flop is 7d8d9d. In a six way pot, you're in a situation of reverse implied odds. You stand to lose the max if you're beat, but you may not get much at all if you're ahead. You won't get action from anyone who you have beaten unless they have a very good chance of beating you anyway. So here you're kinda screwed, right? Thus reverse implied odds. If you were last to act here, you should probably check the flop. If you're the BB and the SB bets, you might just fold it and save the chips.

al
Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 PM

Can't agree in total with your post.

My understanding is that if the pot were small and you have
a made hand but it is relatively weak, say a pair of 8's on the flop with a 4 offsuit kicker, then you might fold in a situation where there were only 4,5,6 sb's in the pot.

But in your example you describe pocket queens and 6 way action. Since in most cases a player would raise with Q,Q p-f there are 6 BB's in the pot on the flop and you should probably continue, not fold (depending on the flop/turn action).