Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM

Default 5/10 SH wow!

I am normally a 3/6 player or NL. I while ago I tried to move up to 5/10 SH because I am good at NL SH tournaments. I was clobbered. I kept getting beat hand after hand. Well after some more reading and practice I waited about 6 months before I moved up again. I started noticing things.

I can't believe how much players at 5/10 bluff. This explains why I did so poorly before. I played 2 tables so I could keep an eye on everyone. At each table I at least had one guy that bluffed practically at every pot, and I mean EVERY POT!!!

I fould myself having to call down pots with middle pair many times even in the face of a flush and str8 possibility due to these players bluffing so much.

I played about 600 hands and only around 10 times did I call down with the worst hand. There were countless pots that I called down with the best hand.

Here is an exaple.

Guy limps in UTG and I am the BB with (Ks4c), all fold, I check.

Flop comes Ac 6c 3c. He checks, I bet, he raises.

So I think about all the hands this guy is calling here UTG. He is a below average player but aggressive and bluffs. Now if he had an ace I think he would raise PF. I didnt think he had 3 or 6 nor a pair. He would have raised. Only hands I think he could have here are like a Q9, K8, JT... or something along those lines. If he had a good K then he would have raised. And I didnt think this player would call with K8-K2 UTG. I felt his raise was telling me "Your the BB and you don't have crap so Im raising". Well if my read was right I was ahead and I had a club. I think its around a 56% chance he does not have a club. He also put no thought to his raise which lead me to believe he was pushing me out of the pot. So I called him down. More low cards below T came and he paused on the end for about 8 seconds then bet. Now I was almost sure he was on a bluff. I called he showed QhJd and I won the hand. My read was right. Now I know you are probably saying it was not worth me going to the river with this but I usually dont make plays like this. My instincts took over here and with all the signs I thought I had him nails.

But this was going on all night. I busted people over and over again on bluffs. It was NON-STOP. I must have taken in about $400 just in people's bluffs last night.

Is this the kind of behavior I should expect from 5/10 all the time? I figure more so at 10/20?

If this is the way things are it seems like calling down with any pair in an unraised pot against these players is reasonable HU. Well most of the time.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: 5/10 SH wow!

yes, these games are very aggressive. a lot of the money you will make will be from overaggro idiots trying to push you out of every pot when it's obvious you're not folding.

to say "go to showdown everytime you have a pair" is too general, but there are some guys who I will take ace high or better to showdown almost all the time.