Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: My Process: custom labels for Nexgen chips

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Those look great. Who's photo has the most accurate color? Your's look much more vibrant. If that's the true color I gotta get som of those.
Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that my pictures aren't totally accurate in the chip colors. I tried to tweak it to match better, but this was as close as I could get. The yellow is definitely duller and the red isn't so bright. I think the real life colors are somwhere between ky70's pics and mine. I think the red and green look closer in his.

As for the sharpness of my photo, I used natural light (no flash), a tripod with the head turned upside down hanging between the legs (camera ended up about 12" above the chips), macro mode on the camera, and the timer so it didn't shake with the long exposure. I played withe the color balance to try to get the colors right, but I think my Sony always punches up the color no matter what.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 PM

I've been sort of lurking on this thread b/c I'm thinking about buying labels for my current crappy chips. I only use them a couple of times a month and it really isn't worth the expense of buying good ones for the benefit at this point. Maybe someday if our game grows.

Anyway, I'm curious why you (SamIAm) stated, "It sounds like spraying AFTER applying is the way to go, according to ky70." My reading of his posts is that he did it b/c he had already applied most of his labels before spraying, and that it worked OK. (If I misread the thread, my apologies.)

But, if one has the choice, I would like to ask if anyone has any opinion as to whether it is preferable to spray before or after. I can think of reasons for going either way, but don't have any experience to judge which might be the better course to follow.

Thanks. Kellon
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Default ky70\'s Nexgen pics

Cool chips... I bet these get alot of people going. The labels turned out nice & crisp. The edge/text colors are a nice touch. I bet they were a hit!

Is that the same background image used on the other labels? Looks like a different shot. I like it better also... maybe just the design but from memory it looked like a different photo.

Thanks for posting!

- Fins
Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Default alittle\'s chip pics

Nice job Andy - they look great. A nice simple design with "a little" family aspect thrown in. I think the bkg color looks good all the same and kind of brings the set together. It would have been interesting to use the chip color as the club bkg color but probably would have been hard to get exact - might have looked funny if it wasn't close.

Let us know how they hold up.

Thanks for posting,
Fins
Old 01-17-2005, 02:29 PM

Kellon, you are correct. I only sprayed labels while they were on the chips because I had only already applied them before I had any spray...it's better (quicker too) to spray the labels before you attach them.

Thanks Fins, the first design that I showed was the mock design from Jason (with the color background) but the finished product is the Lynbark label (nighttime background). Funny thing is from time to time I spot a label that is more off center than I prefer, so I just remove the uneven looking label and replace it with the extra labels that Lynbark includes (Jason includes extras also).

I also noticed that shuffling the chips does not damage the labels (not yet) because if the label is applied correctly it will be out of harms way. I had one label that was not inside the reccessed center completely and that label showed damaged from me shuffling with it over and over. I just ripped that puppy off and replaced it
Old 01-17-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had one label that was not inside the reccessed center completely and that label showed damaged from me shuffling with it over and over. I just ripped that puppy off and replaced it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the interesting parts (to me), considering that you sprayed them after you applied the labels. I was thinking that one of the possible benefits of spraying the chips after applying the labels would be that the edges of the labels would be better protected from wear, as there would be a continuous coating over the whole chip. When you changed a label, did you notice any rough edge from the spray, or is the layer of spray too thin to be of any notice?

This is all a great help, btw. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Ordered my 800 chips today. Also ordered the (matte) spray. I also sent ideas and images to both labelers this morning and BOTH responded within 10 minutes. (!!) Lynbark doesn't need me to pay upfront. Lynbark's (shipped) will be $54. Jason's are only $44.

I'll keep this thread updated as the order progresses.
-Sam

P.S. I got Nexgen EdgeSpots (as pictured in all the above posts) for $0.18 each. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PM me if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]Boy was THAT ever a bad idea. Stop PMing me. Even if you're interested. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They guy I talked to is lukesoares@msn.com. He had ebay auctions, but he promised me a slightly cheaper rate. It's $0.18/chip, plus shipping. (I hope he's ready for some business. I got 10 PMs in 5 hours.)

The thing is, because I was buying a case and cards from 5Star, it ended up being cheaper to get chips with them, just for shipping. It's a shame, too. I was really proud of my back-alley ebay dealings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Sam
Old 01-19-2005, 04:03 AM

dude, that's shady... he's going to sell them to you for 0.18 each but then charge you more shipping than you can get them total from 5star 25% off? supashady. I say stick with 5star, you know where to find them.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 AM

smoore, I did stick with 5Star. Order should arrive on Friday.

To get the thread back on track, here are the mock-ups for my labels.

At this point, these are definitely MY labels. Neither of the printers were willing to put ANY work into the images. They didn't want to use my suggested image, and they told me nobody would be able to change the color of the hat to match the chip, because of shading. (Please see above. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

They basically just want to dump some text into MacPaint and do a couple color replacements. However, after I made the faces, they were willing to put them on labels for me. The above images are my doing, but I'll have Jason use his backgrounds. I chose him partly because he gave me a nice swatch to match colors (see below), and partly because he's $10 cheaper. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More as it develops.
-Sam

P.S. These images are actually LOWER res than Jason wanted. I just felt bad filling your browser with each of my chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]